Should I move my Leeks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I move my Leeks

Sprinkled some leek seeds into small trays a few weeks ago and now they seemed to have all germinated and started growing great guns.

Now I know that to put them out into the bed it is recommended they are pencil thick so I wondering if in the meantime I should take them out of their small pot and put them (a bit more spread ot) into a deeper mushroom container.

Also how deep should I bury them?

I'd just find a corner somewhere, dig an area the same size as the tray but a bit deeper, transplant the whole thing in one, earth them up a little and water in and leave them be until August/Sept when you have more space and can plant them into their final positions. You will be surprised how thick they will be.

Comment

So it isn't really recommended to move them one at a time (I know it will take ages)? Didnt realise had to wait till September to put them in their final position, wow!

Comment

Well, I don't as I don't have the space. You can if you want!

By then, they have thickened up, and you hoof the lot out, separate them and drop them into their final positions without breaking any, water in and forget about them again until it's cold enough to want leek and potato soup.

If you want really early ones ready, then maybe put 5 or 10 into decent sized spaces, but they are a winter crop for a reason

Comment

I normally plant mine out after I have lifted the spuds, which is a bit earlier than September.
          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I normally dib mine in around end May beginning June. They're usually ready by late autmumn that way. Sticking them in the ground as a clump really does help them thicken up.

Comment

I think your clumps are a bit dense, and they would be better if they had a bit more space to each of them, but that apart you want them to grow as a seedling and then plant out into a dibbed hole when they are about 8" tall - so that they can be planted into a 6" hole without getting buried! I sow mine, laboriously, putting each seed about an inch apart in a polystyrene box about 4" deep ... and there they stay until they get planted out sometime in June, or later if I don't get around to it.

So ... I think you should space yours out a bit, and then plant them out in the normal way in a month or two.
              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Thanks for that.

I have managed to get hold of a couple plastic mushroom crates and was thinking of transferring them into there for now as I really dont wanna thin them out and lose any (I grow too attached I know).

When I transfer them at this size should I bury them up quite a bit like Kristen said? Bearing in mind that this will not be their final position, just a place where they can spread out and thicken up a bit.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X