Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb is Flowering!

Hi all,

My rhubarb is flowering. I've never seen this before. Guess it is to do with the unusually warm weather. Its playing havoc with my purple sprouting too. Everything seems to think its May.

I've never seen rhubarb flower before, not even later in the season.

Is this just me??
    Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

You're not unusual, lots of rhubarb is flowering - even though it's been particularly hot & dry this year, we get threads about it every spring
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

This is our third year on our site. Ours and everyone elses has flowered every year. I pull them off, others don't bother. Nowt to worry aboot.

Comment

same here, it's flowered for the last three years. I've cut them off for the last two.

Comment

First time mine has flowered this year, I thought it flowered because it needs splitting ( in the autumn ) but not sure. Lots on lottie site in flower just cut them off at the bottom and put on compost.
          Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
          and ends with backache

Comment

Mine just went in last month... and one was flowering. I cut the flower off.

Comment

Well done on the flowering. I think I've actually managed to kill my rhubarb
              Follow my adventures on Twitter: @backyardveggie

My children will grow up knowing the Good Life... one day Tom and Barbara, one day!

Comment

2 of my 3 clumps (much more a clump than a crown ) have flowered but I've just pulled them off. One of the other plots has a beautiful display of flowers which they seem to be ignoring but then again they're ignoring most of the stuff on their plot at the moment

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Mine has put on a spectacular display this year and I left it for a while but it's gone now.I cut it at the base, it was getting far too big for it's boots!!
                  Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

We have three 'clumps' that need dividing this year, My Dad's two are fine, mine has thrown up a flower spike, like it did last year. It has been removed. Mine is a different variety, can't remember which, but is known for flowering on occasions.

I seem to be the only one that's noticed the Rooobub glut we have, so I'm busily giving it away...
                    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Mine is flowering too - for the first time in about 5 years since mrbadexample snr gave me the crown.

Can someone tell me how I will know when the seed will be ready, and how to collect / prepare it please?

Cheers,
                      MBE
                      Last edited by mrbadexample; 28-04-2011, 08:53 AM.
                      Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                      By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                      While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

My Stockbrindge Arrow rarely flowers but it's sited next to 2 Dalek bins and gets the mucky run-off which it loves! It's mulched and I water it too. I have a feeling it might be general dryness that makes them flower early. The variety I had on my old allotment flowered whenever you sneezed. Most annoying!
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
                          Mine is flowering too - for the first time in about 5 years since mrbadexample snr gave me the crown.

Can someone tell me how I will know when the seed will be ready, and how to collect / prepare it please?

Cheers,
                          MBE
                          I don't think you do - the general feeling here seems to be, cut off the flower stalk, then divide when the clump had grown sufficiently - at five years, it should be ready now.

However, I am no expert, so someone will doubtless come along now, and contradict me!
                          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                            I don't think you do - the general feeling here seems to be, cut off the flower stalk, then divide when the clump had grown sufficiently - at five years, it should be ready now.

However, I am no expert, so someone will doubtless come along now, and contradict me!
                            I would cut the flower stalk off if I didn't want the seeds. However, I want the seeds and I'm sure it will do the rhubarb no harm. To my mind, it's as indestructible as plants get.
                            Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                            By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                            While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                            At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I'd pull it, not cut it. I never cut rhubarb. You just leave a stub to go rotten.
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X