Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too late for onions?

Well, am I?

I'd like a bash at a few onions. The overwintering type, I think. What do I need? Sets? What sort? How? When? Where? Why?

Think that'll cover it. Thanks.
    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Overwintering onions are usually sold in Sept. Mine went in last year on 25th Sept [I grow Radar usually] and they are just fattening up nicely now.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
      Overwintering onions are usually sold in Sept. Mine went in last year on 25th Sept [I grow Radar usually] and they are just fattening up nicely now.
      Thank you. I should just make it in time then.

Note to self: Put onions in on your birthday, MBE.

Are there any onions (not spring, I've got them) I could be planting now?
      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Onion sets (I've got Stuttgarter) can be planted from February until May, according to the packet. These mature around September, and once dried off should keep for most of the winter if stored cool and dry. You should still be able to buy sets, either at your local garden centre or somewhere like Wilkinsons.

Comment

I reckon you will get particularly poor onions if you plant sets as late as May.

Comment

Originally posted by rana View Post
            I reckon you will get particularly poor onions if you plant sets as late as May.
            Should I not bother for this year then? I'm not sure exactly where I'd put them anyway, but by September I'd have a bit more room, I think.

Comment

Still not too late to plant onions from sets. You may not get the biggest ever onions but you will get onions.

Comment

I put my overwintering ones in in October. Tradition says you should plant them on the shortest day to harvest on the longest day I think. Or something like that.

I'd stick some in now, what's to lose?
                Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

I did some in October then some more a couple of weeks ago. Had to fill in some gaps where the cat had slept on them! You might not get big onions but you will get something
                  WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Bung some in anyway Mister and see what happens!
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Well, I've been late with most everything else this year, so I might as well have late onions too.

Thanks all.

Comment

I started a bit late, I've only just sown some from seed, will just have to see what happens

Comment

My Red Barron sets went in just over a fortnight ago my usual time and they don't look to bad.

Colin
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Potstubsdustbins; 26-04-2011, 09:26 PM.
                          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                            My Red Barron sets went in just over a fortnight ago my usual time and they don't look to bad.

Colin
                            Don't you put them straight in the ground? Well, clearly not, but I thought that's what you were meant to do?

Comment

Originally posted by Jono View Post
                              I put my overwintering ones in in October. Tradition says you should plant them on the shortest day to harvest on the longest day I think. Or something like that.

I'd stick some in now, what's to lose?
                              I'd always thought that was what you had to do with garlic... but I guess what's good for one allium is good for another!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X