Calling all goosberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all goosberries

Happy easter fellow gardeners, isn't it a great time of the year to be out there?

My problem is a gooseberry bush I was given which was a proflific fruiter with its previous owner, but not one solitary fruit has it produced for me. This is its third, and I have threatened final, year in quite a sunny spot along side some very happy late raspberries and a blackcurrent bush. On inspection today not one flower head to be seen - any ideas, I thought goosgogs grew and prospered in the most dire conditions?

Could be to much TLC and not inclined to reproduction. What is the bush like in the way of growth. Could try a severe prune to get it going.

Ian

Comment

Yep, I'd think you're feeding it too much so it's growing bigger instead of making fruit. Have you been feeding it and if so, what with?

Comment

Well, ive never actually fed the gooseberry thinking that it didn,nt need it - though do feed the other fruits with an organic general feed. I have never pruned it either, basically just ignored it!

Comment

The only other possibility, could be birds pecking off the blossom fruits/fruit blossoms.

EDIT NOTE: I have noticed that the Pax (almost thornless variety) Goosegog that I dug up earlier this year and put in a large tub, has noticeably less fruits today than last week when I watered it, and it isn't that they've just 'dropped off'(!)
          Sufficiently worried about that, whilst I watered my other fruit bushes and new trees this evening, I took particular notice, and am tomorrow onwards going to be putting protective netting into use.
          Last edited by wellie; 01-05-2011, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X