Autumn Raspberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autumn Raspberries

My autumn fruiting raspberries (Polka) have curled and deformed leaves which seem to contain an insect.What is this and can I treat it?
    thanks

What does the insect look like?
    A description or picture would help us figure out what it is and how to treat it

Comment

Autumn Raspberries

Originally posted by purplekat View Post
      What does the insect look like?
      A description or picture would help us figure out what it is and how to treat it
      It seems to be only the growing tips have the insects, I took a picture hope you can see it OK, looks like a caterpillar of some sort and there are what look like black specks on the leaves as well,
      Attached Files

Comment

Hmm, I'm not sure. On that pic it looks more slug like. It may possibly be a full hoverfly larvae

If you think it is one of these, you don't have to do anything, it'll be eating your aphids for you

Normally curled leaves on new growth are caused by aphids/greenfly which would be treated by spraying with soapy water or leaving for birds/ladybirds/hoverfly to eat.

If it doesn't look like the pic can you see if you can get a better pic (bit closer)
        Last edited by purplekat; 23-04-2011, 06:03 PM.

Comment

If the lava is completely enclosed then whatever it is is ready to pupate and whatever damage it might do will already have been done.If there does not seem to be any damage to the raspberry plant then I would leave it to get on with pupating.

Ian

Comment

Ok thanks to you all, will try and get a closer pic, it's only affecting the tips of a couple of plants so I'll wait and see.

Comment

If it's only the tips and doesn't seem to be spreading then you're probably best just leaving it anyway

Comment

Originally posted by purplekat View Post
                If it's only the tips and doesn't seem to be spreading then you're probably best just leaving it anyway
                Took another picture today, hope this is better, the larvae is all wrapped up inside the leaves with little black bits, you can see a couple on the photo and it does seem to be affecting more and more leaves, so any help as to how to get rid of them would be very helpful
                Attached Files

Comment

I think I'm right in saying that if it's got no legs it's a fly larvae (maggot). Dunno what kind though. I wouldn't worry too much: it'll probably end up as something else's lunch
                  Last edited by Two_Sheds; 27-04-2011, 07:31 PM.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

That's a good pic - def not a hoverfly larvae anyway
                    I'm off to see if I can find my bug book, I'm intrigued by what that is but - yeah looks like some kind of fly larvae

Comment

Thanks have tried googling fly larvae to no avail, is that good or bad that it's a fly larvae?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X