Help with leeks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with leeks

I've just noticed that a pot of leeks that I was waiting to put in the ground have developed flower heads (not open yet). They are not particulaarly tall and still about pencil thin. Is this because of the last 3 weeks of sunny weather or a lack of rain?

I'm guessing that it I were to plant them out now the damage has been already done so it might be pointless to do anything. Do I just abandon them or stick them in salad as a kind of spring onion or is it worth sticking them in the ground now?
    Wars against nations are fought to change maps; wars against poverty are fought to map change – Muhammad Ali

Leeks are normally biennial but will bolt in the first year if stressed. A period of drought will stress them. When were they sown? Was it this year? Whatever, you are not too late to re-sow. It used to be the done thing to plant the winter leeks in the ground cleared of early spuds so seeds grown now will be ready by then.

Comment

They were sown this year (early Feb) and others sown at same time seem fine. Do I just compost these or can anyone suggest useful ways of using them?
      Many thanks
      Wars against nations are fought to change maps; wars against poverty are fought to map change – Muhammad Ali

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X