Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I grow anything else inside my Asparagus container?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I grow anything else inside my Asparagus container?

I have a few crowns of asparagus and a very deep planter which they shall call home shortly.

However I've looked through the Suttons Spring catalogue (free with GYO mag this month) and would like to grow some saffron crocuses but would it be ok to pop them into my new planter or is the asparagus going to throw a hissy fit?

Also Is there anything else I could plant in there? Maybe spring onions??

Never grown Asparagus and since we move every few years a planter is my only option! Thanks everyone! x
    Serene she stand amid the flowers,
    And only count lifes sunny hours,
    For her dull days do not exist,
    Evermore the optimist

I would suggest only growing something shallow-rooted, like Lettuce. That won't interfere with the Asparagus Crowns, as they will need to be planted further down.

Someone with better knowledge than me, will hopefully be along later!
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Personally I'd not grow anything else with the asparagus and would find a different pot for the crocus.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Hmmm I may LOVE asparagus but think I'd rather have fully productive beds that are full all year round and give up on the idea on asparagus in planters as I only have 2 crowns and it'll drive me nuts having a big, baldy planter...

... when I buy a house and FINALLY settle... I'll have a huge permanant bed!
        Serene she stand amid the flowers,
        And only count lifes sunny hours,
        For her dull days do not exist,
        Evermore the optimist

Comment

Asparagus doesn't like to have its roots disturbed so I wouldn't plant anything with it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X