This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIANT Pumpkin for Allotment Competition

We have a 'biggest pumpkin' competition at the Hill each year, and up until now, the baby plants are bought from the storeshed for 50p each, and we all grow them on until the grand weigh-in day in October.

This year, things have been arranged a bit differently, so that it is up to us to grow any pumpkin we want from seed, then we can choose the biggest one that we've grown (not just from the supplied plant, as before) and take it up for the grand weigh-in.

Given that I've only got room for 1 plant, I'm either going to have to buy a whole packet of 'Atlantic Giant' or similar, and put the rest up for swapsies here, OR ask if any kind grapes have a couple of spare seeds of a any BIG PUMPKIN variety that I might have for either an SAE or a swap.

I have quite a collection of heritage climbing peas, and also of climbing beans (various bi-colour, barlotti type etc).

Can anyone help?

If I'm not mistaken I'm sure there were some 'hundredweight' pumpkins in the squash parcel - if it makes it back intime, I'm sure GN would gladly send you a couple of seeds? Might be worth a poke?

I don't have any large ones, sorry - I don't really have the room for any huge ones!

What do you win, if you win?

Comment

I might have some atlantic giant but cant remember will have a look. and let you know
      Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
      and ends with backache

Comment

Can't help re the giant pumpkin seed but if you wanted two spare seeds of Medwyn Williams Giant Marrow I might be able to oblige.
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

ive got some you can have, cant remember the variety & the seeds are at lottie but PM your address and I'll chuck some in the post for you
          The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Thanks all

Chris - I'll check with Ginge I can't turn anything else up - good suggetion
            Jackie & HansMum - would you mind checking with you have a mo? I have a couple of varieties here, but they are 'jack o'lantern' & 'snowball', both of which are supposed to be good for carving rather than for growing to be a real biggie!
            Sorry, SR, it's pumpkins not marrows to fit the brief (but thank you anyway)

And the winning prize? Supreme kudos and ultimate respect from my fellow allotment holders. Oh, and a certificate!

I'm in the right ball park, as last year I came fifth with a pumpkin weighing 51lb - the 1st, 2nd & 3rd were 59lb, 55lb and 54lb, respectively. I love to improve on that this year!

Comment

Hello Hazel. I grew a 763lb pumpkin last year and will not be using that seed for this years pumpkin. I grow the pumpkins at home undercover but I grew a pumpkin over 100 lbs outdoors down the allotment with little attention. If you wanted to send me a SAE I could send you some seed if you wish. PM if you wish.
              My 3D Pumpkin Carvings
              https://www.facebook.com/totallypumpkins

2014 Giant Pumpkin Diary
              http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/Dia...51148&action=L

Comment

Originally posted by SMT View Post
                Hello Hazel. I grew a 763lb pumpkin last year and will not be using that seed for this years pumpkin. I grow the pumpkins at home undercover but I grew a pumpkin over 100 lbs outdoors down the allotment with little attention. If you wanted to send me a SAE I could send you some seed if you wish. PM if you wish.

*faints

I'd just love that - thank you so much! Sending you a PM now.

Jackie & Hans Mum - thankyou for your kind offers - but looks like we're talking to an expert here!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post

*faints

I'd just love that - thank you so much! Sending you a PM now.

Jackie & Hans Mum - thankyou for your kind offers - but looks like we're talking to an expert here!!
                  You can go off people ya know.
                  and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by jackie j View Post
                    You can go off people ya know.
                    I might be coming back cap in hand and eating humble (pumpkin) pie, Jackie - SMT hasn't been back on the Vine since the 13/04 - and I want to be sowing the seeds very very soon...!

That would serve me right, wouldn't it, for diss'ing you both!

Comment

HAHA serves ya right lol. I wont be mean, I have two spare seeds if you want them, let me know
                      and ends with backache

Comment

let me know if you still want some, mine are self saved from last years monster which i didnt weigh but it was huge
                        The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Thanks, girls, but SMT has come up with more seeds than I need (they are seriously MASSIVE seeds!) and I have had instruction on how to prep the seed & how to sow.

If I don't win the big pumpkin comp, I'm going to have to explain why not to SMT!

Comment

Wow Hazel, I've just been looking at SMT's diary, there's some fabulous veg on there. I wish I'd asked about giant seed on here now, but I've got a couple of Atlantic Giant so I'm hoping for great things from them, just for the fun of it. Good luck with yours, you certainly stand a good chance with seed like that!
                            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                              Wow Hazel, I've just been looking at SMT's diary, there's some fabulous veg on there. I wish I'd asked about giant seed on here now, but I've got a couple of Atlantic Giant so I'm hoping for great things from them, just for the fun of it. Good luck with yours, you certainly stand a good chance with seed like that!
                              Impressive innit?! Do you want a couple of SMT's pumpkin seeds? He was generous and so I certainly have a couple to spare - send me a pm with your addy if you're interested and I'll get them off to you.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X