Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Squash

Hi all,

Some fantastic people on here and other forums have been swapping squash seeds with me this year. I now have a great little collection and more room on the lottie for planting them!

I wondered if anyone had grown any of these before and could tell me the type of plant (e.g. bushy or trailing as i would like to train some upwards!), and also the type of yield you got from them. Appreciated as always!

Cobnut
    Uchiki Kuri
    Chicago warted hubbard
    Table ace
    Crown prince
    Kabocha
    Turks turban
    Golden nugget
    Spaghetti
    Bon Bon
    Hooligan

Steve

I haven't time to do them all for you (perhaps you could google each variety?)

Hooligan is a great little sprawling pumpkin, perfect for training up a structure

BonBon and Crown Prince are huge fruits, very heavy
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Cheers for that two sheds. I have googled them all however it doesn't give you too much info, and it's always good to see how others have done with them! Thanks for the reply thats great.

Steve

Comment

I trained the Red Kuri up and over an arch last year. I had 6 x 6 to 7 lb fruits of it. The warred Hubbard is too heavy to train up and over anything...it'll bring the structure down.

Comment

Crown Prince fantastic for storing, i've still got 1 left - its a trailer

Golden Nugget compact bushy plant got 6-8 fruits on each plant

i'll be growing both again this year

hope that helps
          The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Hi

I too have a bundle of squash and pumpkin to sow but the offer of a large garden space has not materialized in order to grow them all. I have a further option of a friend who owns a farm and would probably lend me an area to grow them, however there will be rabbits around. Will they eat pumpkin, they seem to eat everything else?

Dave
            Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hello - I had the same problem when I was looking at what squashes to grow, they seem to leave off the 'trailing' or 'bush' notes from all squash packets! This is what I've found:

Cobnut - bigger and more productive than any 'butternut' I've grown - trailer - about 4 large fruits per plant - good storage
              Uchiki Kuri - trailer - 3-4 fruits per plant - medium storage
              Chicago warted hubbard - growing this year for first time too......(its a trailer)
              Table ace - ?
              Crown prince - trailer - 3-4 huge fruits per plant (if they don't look particularly 'as big' in size as you expect, pick one of the oogies up, they are full of lovely thick flesh and heavy!) - excellent storer - I still have one left from last year
              Kabocha - think this is very similar to Uchiki Kuri from what I can make out
              Turks turban - ?
              Golden nugget - growing this year for first time too......(but Hans Mum says its a bush)
              Spaghetti - ?
              Bon Bon - as per TwoSheds comment
              Hooligan - as per TwoSheds comment

I don't think I have the most prolific return per plant compared to some people but I am a bit of a 'put them in and let nature do her best' sort of gardener

Good luck!

Comment

cobnut gives a bigger squash than most butternuts i got 5 of one plant all about the size in the picture

Uchiki Kuri as in the picture i got eight of one plant

both are trailing habbit and ive found the best way (for me) is to stop them when the leading arms are about 4ft long,this forced the plant to send more arms out and gives you a smaller plant but more crop

The third pic shows my cobnut and uchiki kuri in a bed,for reference the bed is 8ftlong and 4ft wide and i allowed it to grow a bit into the path

table ace, lots of smaller fruits is not so spralling as the other two a semibush type stores for ages

hope that helps
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Pies; 12-04-2011, 07:21 PM.

Comment

The only bush one on your list is Golden Nugget.

Comment

Turks turban is a thuggish trailer!

Comment

Much appreciated ladies and gents! That really does help, a few of them are thanks to you Pie and Ginger niger so cheers for that!

Think I am going to go with ginger's red kuri up the frame. Well I will post the (hopefull) fruits of my labour up in a few months time!

Thanks once again

Steve
                      Last edited by grenhouse; 13-04-2011, 07:17 AM.

Comment

I did a red kuri (I think - Potimarron?) - it went for miles! Only got one fruit finally, the rest started then rotted... Will try the trick of stopping the leading edge - thanks!
                        S

Comment

My Crown Princes store for ages. I've still got a couple left. They're really tasty - the flesh is almost nutty.

Get yourself a decent veg peeler though, it makes life much easier when the skins get tough.
                          Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

The easy way to prepare Winter Squash is to cut them into segments, scoop out the seeds, and cook them with the skins on, either by microwave or bake. Then it is easy to scoop out the cooked flesh from the skin with a spoon.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X