No announcement yet.

Kailaan, chinese kale anyone grown it?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kailaan, chinese kale anyone grown it?

Wondering about trying kailaan - anyone grown it?
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

I tried it last year but it bolted, sowed it to soon. I'll try again but won't sow till mid July.
    History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

Ive got some seeds somewhere and it was ok. A lot of mine bolted but I think the long dry spells in July last year didnt help.

Comment

Not heard of this Manda, I'll take a look, thanks, we love kale.
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Thanks for the growing info, might try it later in the year then.

@Flo - think its more like broccoli but all of it is edible apparently, so maybe the leaves are kale-like?
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

The Real Seeds site have a good description in the Oriental Veg section.
            History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

I sowed mine a couple of days ago in modules. Have grown it before with a little success, the plot is looking better now though so I am hopeful for better results this time around. Very rich , fertile , moisture retentive and free draining soils are what Joy Larkcom recommends in her guide to growing oriental veggies. They need to grow quickly apparently to stop them getting too tough.
              Death to all slugs!

Comment

Kailaan is delicious - and I didn't realise you could grow it over in the UK. I've never even been able to buy it in the UK and it's one of my favourite veg, as I used to eat it a lot when I was out in Asia.

It is a mix of PSB, with leaves that are like greens and kale. Very delicious, and very good for you. Stir fry it with some soy sauce, ginger, garlic and onion, yum yum

I have some seeds and will be attempting to grow them this year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X