Carrots in toilet rolls

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrots in toilet rolls

I've been looking at Two Sheds' photos on Flickr (they're very interesting!) and am thinking about trying the carrots-in-toilet-rolls way of growing them:

carrots in loo rolls by 2_Sheds, on Flickr

I'd really like some more information about this please, if possible? Such as ...

Do you start them off indoors? And do you just drop three or four seeds into each tube? And is multi-purpose compost okay?

I'm really intrigued by this method! Is it commonly done? Anyone else here do it?

Thank you,
    C
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe!
    www.croila.net - "Human beans"

Don't bother doing it with carrots as I don't have enough loo rolls. I use the loo rolls for parsnips which I find harder to start off than carrots. Yes they are started off inside and need to be planted out almost as soon as they are up. I already have two rows of parsnips out on the lottie which are about an inch high.I have another 30 going in today. Use multi purpose but sieve the soil before filling the tubes.
    Good luck.

Ian

Comment

I did it once. Far too much faff, even for me, to have one-carrot-per-"pot". I now grow them in pots about 12" diameter with a 50:50 mix of sharp horticultural sand and multi purpose left over from some other crop - e.g. potatoes in bags.

I do grow Parsnips and Sweet corn in Newspaper pots (which I now use instead of the loo rolls I used to use) and I would recommend tearing off the top part so it doesn't stick up above the soil (as per your picture) as I think that acts like a wick and dries out the paper/cardboard underground.
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I don't bother with loo rolls any more-they got mouldy and were falling apart making them too difficult to handle.As for carrots-I've got raised bed specially prepared for them-sieved soil so no stones to speak of.Might go for 2 big buckets either for carrots or spuds.

Comment

Not done them in loo rolls, but have grown bunches of carrots in medium sized pots, broke into clumps, and planted out. Then I thinned them as they grew bigger. Worked for me, but it is a bit of a faff.
          Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Croila View Post
            Anyone else here do it?
            Not any more. I did it because I have soil that forms a hard crust, making it impossible for carrots to push through.
            Now I make a drill, water it, sprinkle seed in (I sow all seeds this way) and then top the drill with mpc

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
            I would recommend tearing off the top part so it doesn't stick up above the soil ....[it] acts like a wick and dries out
            Agreed, and I did as soon as I'd taken the photo

Originally posted by coreopsis View Post
            I don't bother with loo rolls any more-they got mouldy
            Too wet then: they really don't need too much watering
            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 03-04-2011, 07:11 PM.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thank you to everyone for the replies - it's very helpful. Seems to be the consensus is not to bother then.

I'm still wondering why last year's carrots were so puny though. Am I right in thinking carrots don't need too much water or feeding?

You know what, I don't even particularly LIKE carrots. They're for the wee lad, not me. I only like them roasted and it's much easier if you have decent size carrots for that ...

Comment

I'm not bothering with loo rolls for anything any more, I've had no success with them at all! Never used them for carrots anyway. Sow them in ground that hasn't been manured, watering the drill beforehand. Thin them out a bit when they're strong enough. Don't water them at all unless they need it if the weather is really hot and never feed. As you say you prefer them big, you'd need to thin out well.
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by Croila View Post
                  Am I right in thinking carrots don't need too much water or feeding?
                  No feed necessary, and I read this weekend that too much nitrogen makes the roots all fibrous (you know those little fine hair-like roots they get)
                  The advice was always to not bother watering carrots - I never have, but last year they had a ton of rain (late July to October, non-stop) and I got the best crop ever.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    No feed necessary, and I read this weekend that too much nitrogen makes the roots all fibrous (you know those little fine hair-like roots they get)
                    Aha! I fed mine liquid seaweed last year, just cause I was watering it onto loads of other things too. And they WERE quite hairy. As well as wee and pathetic.

This year's resolution for me is to look into feeding and watering a lot more carefully as last year, being the first year for me growing anything, I was far too gung ho about it. I was just happy stuff GREW, but this year I want it to grow really well!

Thank you so much for all the advice - it's a huge help.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      Not any more. I did it because I have soil that forms a hard crust, making it impossible for carrots to push through.
                      Now I make a drill, water it, sprinkle seed in (I sow all seeds this way) and then top the drill with mpc
                      I like this idea! I get the same crusty surface. Will definitely be trying.
                      Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X