Carrots for Easter?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrots for Easter?

I decided to start some carrots off in 7cm pots in the greenhouse at the end of January using 5 or 6 seeds per pot.

I've now transferred to a raised bed and hope to have some lovely fresh carrots in a few weeks time!

Last edited by Lotsaveg; 06-04-2011, 05:45 PM.

I'm not sure what shape they are going to be after the potting out, but best of luck!
    "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
      I'm not sure what shape they are going to be after the potting out, but best of luck!
      I didn't disturb the roots, but just removed the pots and popped the contents into a hole. I'll let you know what they look like in a few weeks time.

Comment

I have a row up on the lotty, that I sowed back in September. Tardy things will probably just bolt
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I sown a bucket of Nantes in the greenhouse at end of August, the tops are about 6inch high not inspected the carrots yet though.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I've got some Early Nantes in a container that I planted out in September. They've overwintered well, and the greenery looks really healthy. Just no sure whether there is anything decent in the ground.
            Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

I grew Early Nantes last year, my first time ever growing carrots, and I was disgusted at how puny and small they were! I'm pretty sure it was something I was doing wrong, but I'm not quite sure what. I grew them in pots and in a square foot bed and can only think that perhaps I didn't thin them enough.

I was planning on sowing some this weekend in toilet rolls indoors to start them off, thin them to one carrot per tube, then transfer the whole toilet roll innard into pots outside once they've got a bit of growth on them. So root disturbance is avoided.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this, and what the success rate is like? I was so cheesed off at rubbish carrots last year!
              Diagonally parked in a parallel universe!
              www.croila.net - "Human beans"

Comment

I've grown Early Nantes and they've been fine - but there are so many varieties of Nantes - often with numbers after them - that its a bit hard to tell which-is-which - I've always assumed they were all pretty much the same, but maybe not?
                K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I recently managed to get some commercial Nairobi seeds from a local organic farmer. They're silvery in colour though so I'm not sure what they've been coated with! Can't be anything non-organic though.

Comment

Originally posted by Croila View Post
                    my first time ever growing carrots, and I was disgusted at how puny and small they were! ... perhaps I didn't thin them enough.
                    Maybe, but I've stopped thinning my carrots as baby seedlings, I do it when they are eating size. Then I take the largest and leave the rest of the cluster to grow on - they are really good.

What I learned last year was that carrots really do need more water than we've been told they need. Last year's washout August-October gave me my biggest ever crop
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Ah, water, water, water. For some reason I'd got the impression carrots didn't need much water and maybe that's why they didn't grow very big last year. I'll certainly bear that in mind this time round - thankyou!

Comment

Originally posted by Croila View Post
                        Ah, water, water, water. For some reason I'd got the impression carrots didn't need much water and maybe that's why they didn't grow very big last year. I'll certainly bear that in mind this time round - thankyou!
                        It's also very important to have a loose soil or growing medium that enables the carrots to grow and expand with ease.

Comment

Thank you. I've got a raised bed and pots which I grew them in last year (mainly cause they're high up off the ground so will avoid carrot fly) and I'll be growing them in the loose compost in these things again this year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X