old leeks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old leeks

i was given some leek seedlings last summer and planted them in a shady spot. when the end of the summer came i didn't have the space to separate them and dib them in properly and ended up forgetting about them.

they're still there about pencil thick, 30cm high, mainly all bunched together. do i...

a) add them to the compost heap?

b) pull them and eat them?

c) pull them and dib them in to my freshly dug veg patch like i should have done last year?

Me, if I fancied some 'baby leeks' I'd eat a few - I'd plant the rest. You could even leave them to seed if you like - not only are they attractive, but you won't have to buy leek seeds the following year

I did the exact same thing, I've ~8 leeks that have stood the ground under a tree (before I cut it down) all winter - I'm going to transplant them in a new area and let them goto seed.

Comment

I would pull them and eat them (or make soup if they aren't right for a meal, as such)

I reckon if you plant them they will run to seed this year, rather than bulking up ('coz that's what they will have thought they were doing last year)

Leek flowers are pretty though - so you could transplant them to the flower garden.
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I agree, get 'em etten!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

If you have alot of them they will freeze.
          Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

Eat them. Mine are pencil size too, I planted them out far too late in the year
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

If you leave then or replant them, they will bolt as they are bi-ennials. As the others have said, into the cookpot with them.

Comment

Just about to eat some of my pencil sized leeks!

( had to nibble a few - as you do!- and they are so sweet and delish!!!)
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Mine didn't even get to the size of a pencil, and are still in the pot! I will plant them out for aesthetic value!
                  All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                  Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Most of the leeks we have been eating this past 4 months are pencil thickness and about a foot long, growing in old kitcken cupboards under my apple tree. They have a been very tender and tasty.
                    roger
                    Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Eat some, and let some flower. Then cut the flower tips off the globe and grab the leek 'grass' that grows as new leeks for next year.
                      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Yep, eat them or you'll regret it when they are useless half flowering twigs in the summer!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X