Blimey!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blimey!

I have just emptied my compost heap, which has been there for a year. Among the compost were whole eggs that I'd put in there when they didn't hatch. They'd neither crushed, not rotted. How amazing is that!
    I also found lots of brandling worms and zillions of 'baby' white worms. I'm trying not to think about them too much (in case they're nasty types)....the good news is that nearly the whole bin was usuable, and I just had to chuck some newspaper which never seems to rot.
    Bye for now,
    JM

You might need to water your heap occasionally, then the paper will rot down
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 13-03-2011, 08:00 PM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Well done, I just hope my pallet compost heap will be just as good when I want to top up an old large strawberry bed, once I harvest and remove the plants this year. It's nearly 1 of the first beds I made when I got my plot 4 years ago, created from railway sleepers. But I didn't have any homemade compost at the time and filled it with a load of couch grass, then covered that with allotment soil and loads of leaf mulch. The strawberry plants did really well, but the soil has dropped a fair bit and it will certainly benefit from all the chicken poo and allotment waste that I've added to the heap over the last year or 2.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X