Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shallots in modules

Hi

I've just planted some shallots in modules in the cold greenhouse as suggested by Monty Don in Gardeners World last night. Can someone give me some advice about watering these? Reluctant to water from overhead in case the bulbs go rotten.

thanks

Caz

I water (everything in pots) from the bottom, ie place in a tray of water for 10 mins or so
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks 2 sheds - do you know how much to water them - do they need to be nearly dry or pretty damp? never grown onions or shallots before but Monty inspired me.

caz

Comment

10 mins is enough. If you watch you can see the water being slurped up - when it's no longer being slurped up, take them out

Comment

Do as 2 sheds says and water from the bottom, if you then place them on a dry surface water not taken up by the plant will slowly drain out of the pot. As you move them note the weight of the pot, then you will know when they next need water because the pot will feel light by comparison.

Colin
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

when you plant onions and shallots, should i be planting the sets with just the tip sticking out , or like on gardeners world, just a bit about 1/3 in the soil, most of it sticking out?
            Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

By the time you plant them out, they'll have a good few inches of green leaves. Don't bury those! just the little bulb.
              And don't force the sets into the soil, dig them a little hole each, so you don't damage the roots

Comment

onions sets - tips level with, or just below, soil level

shallot sets - half visible, or tips just visible (i.e. slightly shallower than onion sets)

Beware of compressing soil just under the set - which can happen if they are just pushed in (rather than planted into a small hole made with a trowel), depending on how "fluffly" your soil is. If the soil under the set is compacted the growing roots can push it out of the ground (usually attributed to birds pulling on the stalk-bit - which also happens - although I struggle to believe that the bird thinks its a worm - or maybe they have no sense of smell? or maybe they want to make a fricassee with them?!)
                K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Ah .... I was talking about planting the bulbs, not "plants" in modules ... sorry about that.

Go with what TS said

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                    growing roots can push it out of the ground (usually attributed to birds pulling on the stalk-bit )
                    I think that's a myth, about the birds pulling them out. I have found sets pulled ( or pushed?) out of the soil but I don't think it's birds looking for a snack. They might well pick off the dry strawy bit for nesting material, but I nip those off first

... and sets can pop out of the soil in the gh, where there ain't no birds

Comment

Ive tried a few times to grow both and most of them never grow, ive always planted them all straight in the soil ( raised bed with 50/50 compost / soil ) ,always dug it over quite deep, and planted them with just the tiny bit that becomes the shoot showing not able to see the top of the set,i never got more than 5% to grow, the rest grow into green shoot and then by the autumn they start to die down and nothing there but a shriveled bulb!

Thought i might try them in modules to get them going and then plant them in pots just to see what happens, maybe that will be more successfull

Ive got to get the hang of growing them, i like onions....a lot and im moving over to Bulgaria later in the year so i need to get the hang of `grow your own` everything, it may be easier there as it will all be growing be in the ground not raised beds and pots

Pictures ive seen of them in pots on here recently, the onions are virtualy ontop of the soil, then seeing gardeners world , i presumed i was planting them too deep
                      Last edited by starloc; 13-03-2011, 08:31 AM.
                      Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

Modules, pots, seed trays - the idea is just to get their roots growing

I bung them in soil with whatever I have to hand such as in a pot in the photo below.

I also put them into seed trays, shoulder to shoulder, to root on.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                          Modules, pots, seed trays - the idea is just to get their roots growing
                          Yes, giving them a head start until soil conditions will support growth is the objective. Whereas any old container with drainage will work, modules allow the rooted plants to be removed and planted on without damaging said roots.

If they are watered after planting, they should be well rooted and ready to plant before they need watering again.(unless there is a sustained period of bad weather of course)

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                            modules allow the rooted plants to be removed and planted on without damaging said roots.
                            Might just be me? but I find that pushing plants out of those modules distorts the root ball considerably, and that there is a fairly significant amount of disturbance (can't say if there is root damage, per se) - at least compared to knocking a plant out of a plastic pot, which I find tend to come out cleanly and I have never really understood why growing in pots is regarded as leading to root disturbance when transplanting

Comment

Having said that - Alliums don't mind their roots getting disturbed, in fact it encourages them to put out new ones once in place. I rip them apart and don't worry in the slightest about the roots.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X