Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strawberries and frozen compost

Sounds delicious

My strawberry plants appear to be taking over. I thought I had two 8ftx4ft beds of them but they seem to have colonised half the third bed as well.
    I've bought lots of triple pots, that stack together to make a tower, to transfer them to, so I can use the beds for the tomatoes but even though the beds are high enough for me not to have to bend I can't work for long at a time, so it's going to take me ages.

I need to have it done by April in order to still get a crop this year, don't I?

My question is can i start now?
    The temperature went down to -5c last night and the compost in my other pots was still frozen solid at midday. Will it harm the strawberries to be in pots, where they're more likely to get frozen than they are in the beds?
    The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

My strawberry runners are all in their little black pots.
    They are on the ground next to the strawberry bed and have been subjected to the -14C of this winter- and they're starting to grow their new leaves.
    They must have been frozen solid quite a few times so far.

I'd say to get on with transferring them if you are pressed for time- might be a good idea to throw a fleece over them if you are worried- but to be honest I'm sure they'll be fine.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

It's the flowers you need to take care of re: frosts. The plants will survive very cold temps, but if the flowers get frosted they won't turn into fruits

April is the best time to plant strawbs (just before they really take off) but you can in all honesty move them anytime - I have. They're like weeds

As to the tangled mess - mine are too. I should thin them out and cut off runners in autumn, but I always leave it till spring, then I can give away the babies instead of composting them
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 03-03-2011, 08:08 AM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post

April is the best time to plant strawbs (just before they really take off) but you can in all honesty move them anytime - I have. They're like weeds
        I did not know this - thought you had to wait until the soil had warmed up. I have a few which need squishing in a bit. Might go and do it after lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          It's the flowers you need to take care of re: frosts. The plants will survive very cold temps, but if the flowers get frosted they won't turn into fruits

As to the tangled mess - mine are too. I should thin them out and cut off runners in autumn, but I always leave it till spring, then I can give away the babies instead of composting them
          I completely agree. Strawberries are like weeds and tough as old boots. As with most fruits, it is only the flowers getting frosted that can cause a problem.

Comment

Thanks.

I'll make a start when it warms up a bit then (it's only 3 or 4c out there at the moment, brrr)

...or perhaps I could get Grumpy to dig them up and bring them inside so I can pot them on the kitchen table

Aye, it's terrible isn't it Two_Sheds? I keep meaning to plant mine in rows far enough apart to push the runners in neatly between them, but they always end up just going anywhere they please (even over the side of the bed and a couple of feet down to root in the path )

Do you think they'll be happy in the soil from the beds (a mixture of topsoil, sand, old growbags and home-made compost) or will they need something different to grow in pots?
            Last edited by Sylvan; 03-03-2011, 01:37 PM.
            The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

Sylvan,

I to am sure they will be OK in pots I have some planters 20" long x 6" x 6" with 3 plants in each. They have come through the winter outside and are now well adorned with new leaves.

Colin
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I am expecting a deliver of new strawberry plants at the end of this month. They have been kept at low temperatures so that when planted they really take off and will fruit this year.

Ian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X