Growing onions for the first time!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing onions for the first time!

My Hubby has requested I grow him some RED onions.
    Does anyone know if I could grow them ok in large troughs/containers? (I only have a decked area).
    Would I better with sets than seeds? any particular variety good? (he's not keen on salad onions).
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Furny; 27-02-2011, 02:58 PM.

Recommend - Long Red Florence. Torpedo shaped onions, brilliant for smaller spaces as they can be grown quite close together. Sow seeds in modules, in pinches and transplant module by module; harvest as they get bigger [they will push each other apart].

Comment

Zazen 999- I have just looked them up, they do look interesting.Thank You.

Comment

Onions do very well in containers. Red Baron is an excellent onion, crops well and stores well also. can be grown form seeds or sets. If growing from sets, try to get heat treated as they are not so prone to bolting.

Comment

Thanks Aberdeenplotter. I had looked at Red Barron but I wasn't quite sure about them. I have ordered them now & Long Red Florence (from the post above), I'm going to spoil the hubby & have a go at both

Comment

I dont grow onions (or other allium) from seed - I find it much easier to grow from sets - I would think if this is your first attempt, a few sets might be worth a go too.
            I hope I have not thrown the cat amoung the pigeons (Which would be a good thing in my garden!!) for you Furny

Comment

Red Baron in pots

Colin
              Attached Files
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

northepaul- I shall take your advice thank you. I have ordered both in seeds as I got them on a seed offer but it is maybe been a bit adventerous so I shall probably get a pack of sets as a back up too!.

potstubsdustbins-What a great pic!. I would have one happy hubby If that was my end result, you have inspired me even more!
                P.s Love your forum name!

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                  Red Baron in pots
                  ... and not in a sunny position either, by the look of the green algae. They look great !
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Looks like liver wort?

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      green algae.
                      Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                      Looks like liver wort?
                      Under the pots, not in the pots
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                        Under the pots, not in the pots
                        sheesh wimmin, always looking for trouble in the wrong places

Comment

Hi Everyone
                          Today I bought some Red Baron onion sets, 40 onions for £1- From Morissons (bargain!)
                          And I have my seeds of Red Baron & Long Red Florence coming in the post so I may experiment & do a little of each.
                          In my seed tin & also have some Bedfordshire Champion so I may have a go with a white onion too while I'm at it!.
                          Thanks everyone for your help so far!.

Comment

So thats what that funny green stuff is. The pots are on a wall surrounding my carp pond wonder if that could have anything to do with it? Must say though it does not seem to harm the onions.

I put my sets in late April so use fleece to keep them warm, stops the birds pulling them out the compost as well. Then soon as they sprout I cut the fleece and leave them like that until really well established.

Colin
                            Attached Files
                            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                              So thats what that funny green stuff is. The pots are on a wall surrounding my carp pond wonder if that could have anything to do with it? Must say though it does not seem to harm the onions.

I put my sets in late April so use fleece to keep them warm, stops the birds pulling them out the compost as well. Then soon as they sprout I cut the fleece and leave them like that until really well established.

Colin
                              Thank you for the picture & advice, I have noted it down. I shall probably also try to put my sets in at the same time.
                              Last edited by Furny; 01-03-2011, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X