Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever moved asparagus?

Hello all,

I've had a row of asparagus in the ground for about four years, but I'd like to use the space for something else.

I don't have to move it, but was wondering if I did, would it do it any harm?

Thanks,

Jono.
    Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

I've not tried it, but from all that I have read the roots are extensive, and brittle, and moving established Asparagus plants is unlikely to go well
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

funny you should ask this question. I've moved 10 asparagus crowns today as i'm giving up my small plot and didn't want to leave them, all I can say is 'watch this space' and I'll let you know!

Comment

they dont like being moved

Comment

I moved an established crown one autumn by cutting down with a spade about 2ft square at an inward angle around it - then digging up that whole chunk of soil and dragging it out onto a sack - then got a friend to help me carry it to it's new site where I dug a hole to fit the chunk. It produced OK the next year and grew on successfully.

Asparagus is far and away my favourite crop closely followed by sweetcorn as both are delicious freshly harvested uncooked....

Comment

I have moved asparagus and it came up fine last year.
            AKA Angie

Comment

We moved some 4 (or 5)year old plants because we wanted to split the bed with a path.
              I think there were 4 of them. one died and 3 eventually recovered the following year although they had been quite knocked back..
              Have to say though- they had HUGE root systems- easily a 3 foot ball holding the majority of the roots.

Lots of soil with the rootball- and keep them moist is the best way forwards if you really need to move it.
              Last edited by Nicos; 22-02-2011, 11:17 PM.
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks everyone. Surprised by the size of the roots. Reminds me of digging up one of my globe artichokes, the roots on that were huge. Broke a spade on it!
                Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

I'd be in the camp of moving them with as much soil as poss, but most times it likely to just set the crop back a year, rather than death. Unless as you dig you can hear or see the roots breaking, a lot will depend on how old/established your plants are. If they only a few years old, then not too much to dig up or damaged. Best of luck.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X