Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chitting parsnips

Hi all,
    I've seen plenty of threads where peeps have said they chit their parsnip seeds before planting and I know that once chitted they needed to be planted out pretty quick.
    I want to try this method this year as we now have an allotment so I'm able to devote a lot more space to parsnips but I also want to make sure it's not wasted through poor germination etc.
    Could anyone advise me on how long the seeds are likely to take to chit.
    I'm going away for a few days this weekend and may well be going away again in a couple of weeks time for a week so I don't want to start them and then miss the critical point.
    Many thanks
    Incy

The following extracted from the members forum on the NVS site.

"If you put a layer of wet kitchen roll on a dish, then sprinkle your seeds on this and then cover with another bit of wet kitchen towel then keep them somewhere warm, i put mine on top of the fridge. Make sure the kitchen roll is kept wet and after 3 days start looking to see if you can see the root starting to pop through the seed case."

Comment

Thanks Aberdeenplotter. I'd best wait till we get back on Monday then

Comment

I put them in a resealable plastic bag with dam compost then in a nice warm place. Takes about 4 days in my airing cupboard. I think it was Zazen & Jeanied who mentioned that was how they got there's to germinate.

Comment

Have tried chitting in the past but had difficulty in extracting the chitted seed from the kitchen roll and that was checking once every day. Sow mine into loo rolls and have no problem with germination.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
            Have tried chitting in the past but had difficulty in extracting the chitted seed from the kitchen roll and that was checking once every day. Sow mine into loo rolls and have no problem with germination.

Ian
            The trick is to catch the seed as soon as the root appears - I use paper towel in a plastic butter container and then put the container in an cool/unheated room (parsnips don't need warmth to germinate), it takes around a week for germination and by checking everyday you can catch the seeds just as they open. If they're somewhere too warm the root will grow long very quickly and will become fragile and difficult to handle.
            Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

Is still very early to be starting off parsnips as even when they've germinated they'll have to survive OK outside. I find it far easier to sow direct at the end of March / early April as chitting is too much of a phaff for me

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

As Alison said, I would wait until March at the earliest, especially if you're pre-chitting. The first year I grew them I sowed direct around early March, they took around six weeks to show above soil, so if you're pre-chitting they already have a head start. I read somewhere if you start them too early they can be more susceptible to canker. Mine certainly were very cankery. That said if you leave them until later and you have a dry spell (like we did last year) you may get poor germination - unless of course you remember to water.

Comment

I tried this last year, but ended up sowing a new packet straight into the ground. The seeds in the damp in the sandwich box just smelled peculiar, no sign of growth! Reading this, I suppose they could have been too warm in the airing cupboard.
                  Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    Is still very early to be starting off parsnips as even when they've germinated they'll have to survive OK outside. I find it far easier to sow direct at the end of March / early April as chitting is too much of a phaff for me
                    Yep I sow direct too, although if my seeds are not fresh (as in bought this year), then I sow 2 or 3 together. Often folk do that anyway, but I usually only sow 1, as I've had success every year. Not because I'm a expert parsnips grower, just because I sow them and they grow. The only change I've made since my first ever sowing, is that I now sow seeds closer together than the packet states, as I don't like the gaint parsnips that have grown if I give them more space.

Comment

I've always sown direct in the past and the germination rate has not been great although they do seem to germinate at regular distances thus giving me few but large parsnips. The reason I want to try the pre-chitting method is to avoid big gaps in a bed at the lottie.
                      Thanks for the advice to leave it a while though. I usually sow in February but if as you say, chitting gives them a head start, it won't hurt to wait a month.

Comment

If difficult to remove seed from kitchen paper,tare the paper around the seed and plant that as well.

Comment

I don't sow them until April - they don't like cold wet soil
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Incy View Post
                            . The reason I want to try the pre-chitting method is to avoid big gaps in a bed at the lottie.
                            I grow in my garden so space is at a premium, I sow in loo roll tubes usually it's 4 or 5 seeds in each roll snipping them down to one seedling later on.
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I'm feeling extremely jealous right now.....i have tried growing parsnips for the last 3-4 years with zero success!
                              I tried pre-chitting but there was no sign of life once in the ground.
                              After reading what gojiberri and bren said about sowing in loo rolls, I think I'll try that this year...I won't give up!!
                              At what stage do you plant them out and when?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X