Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting strawberries from seed?

Hi,

A few weeks ago I picked up some strawberry seeds from Wilkinson to start in the windowsill. Only half of the seeds sprouted - which was okay, but then the seedlings I had left gradually started to die off. They would bend over and then shrivel from the top down. I have one seedling left that looks pretty strong - it's a lot bigger than the others (but still not very big) and two others that may or may not make it.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Should I have used a different kind of potting mix? Was I just unlucky?

If anyone else has started strawberries from seed I've love to hear what your experiences were.

Thanks!
    http://harpurhey.blogspot.com/

Shangrilya......

I can't help but have had exactly the same problem with my alpine strawberry seeds. I sowed mine in John Innes seed compost, covered in cling and left on the window cill. I wonder if its just been a little too cold?

Sure someone will be along soon to help.

Comment

sounds a bit like damping off to me. Try resowing in fresh compost and be ready to treat with bordeaux mixture.

Comment

Have never grown proper strawberries from seed as I find runners easier to manage. However have grown alpine ones easily enough. I sow in normal peat free multi purpose compost (use this for everything) in 1.5" newspaper pots in a heated propogator, a pinch of seed per pot. When they come through I take out the propogator and grow on the window ledge with no heat. When the seedlings look a bit sturdy I'll pull out all but the strongest one and pot on into 3" pots and on from them. They take a long while to get going and then suddenly leap forward.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

do you start them up now then? ive got some alpine strab seeds, i dont have a heated propogator though...

Comment

I think it was damping off... there was a bit of white mold growing around the edges of the pot. I probably should have sterilized my soil, but ah well. I sprayed them with some diluted chamomile tea and the mold seems to have died back. I guess I'll have to be vigilant and spray with the tea every week or so when I try again.
            http://harpurhey.blogspot.com/

Comment

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you need go to such effort to avoid damping off. Simply cut back on the watering. Also if you use clingfilm remove it as soon as they're through. I grew alpines and I didn't use a propagator, I think I did use clingfilm though. Oh and yes you can start them now. They take ages to grow into a decent sized plant though so prepared to be patient

Comment

Hi
                I've got alpine strawberries that I started off from seed. I just used multi purpose compost and sowed the seeds in a plastic grape container. They are very hardy and survived all the snow we had this past winter. I have also recently sowed a strawberry seed variety called 'festival' from shop brought strawberries. The strawberries were orinally from Egypt - I hope they do ok in our climate.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadylane View Post
                  Simply cut back on the watering.
                  I agree, and I also think Feb is too dark and cold for them (it's ideal for mould though )

Start again next month when the days are longer & warmer
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadylane View Post
                    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you need go to such effort to avoid damping off. Simply cut back on the watering. Also if you use clingfilm remove it as soon as they're through. I grew alpines and I didn't use a propagator, I think I did use clingfilm though. Oh and yes you can start them now. They take ages to grow into a decent sized plant though so prepared to be patient
                    keep them barely moist until weather really warms up,sown now you should get them into the garden/pots and by july/august start getting a good crop,thats how i did mine and you will find that they have a better taste than their big brothers...enjoy..and if they will grow up here you should have no problems..
                    Last edited by BUFFS; 26-02-2011, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X