How much Kale to sow?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much Kale to sow?

How much Kale to sow (obviously not just yet!)

I'm doing my plan and have never grown this before - how much does one family (5-6 adults) need!

thanks
    http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Hi

It depends how much you intend to eat. If its going to be everyday than your going to need a lot more than if once a week.

Depending on which species you plant they can grow quite large, I grew 6 plants in the main bed and picked a few leaves from each plant once or twice a week for a few months.( enough for 2 good adult portions) However I grew about 20 plants and planted the others around the flower and shrub garden where ever there was a gap. These were used as smaller plants for eating thus giving time for the others to bulk up.

Hope this helps a bit

Dave

p.s. I rip out the main stem on older leaves as they tend to get tough and stir fry the rest with a knob of butter and black pepper. Goes great with a rare steak!
    Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

I can only talk for myself.I grow no more than a half dozen plants peferably of the short stemmed varieties.

Comment

As Dave said, depending on how often you want to eat kale, I'd say 1-4 m2/person. I sow them at ~10cm distance in both directions and eat half of the plants when they touch, and repeat when they touch again until the remaining ones are their final size, then pick leaves from the bottom up.

Comment

Thats brill! Thanks guys!
          http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

Hey JB.

I've got four plants which have been enough for twice weekly pickings for two of us.

Hope that helps.

Jono.
            Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

I have 6 plants, 2 Cavolo Nero, 2 Scarlett Curly and 2 Dwarf Curly there's only little old me. I love it but even I'm over faced with 6 plants and mi freezers full of Runner beans. I'd say about 12

Comment

I've got 6 Cavolo Nero plants for the 2 of us, but next time I'm growing twice as many only because I've had to buy cabbage on a couple of occasions.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Jelliebabe View Post
                  How much Kale to sow (obviously not just yet!)

I'm doing my plan and have never grown this before - how much does one family (5-6 adults) need!

thanks
                  The more the merrier - it's wonderful stuff, and will provide you with green veg. in the depths of winter, when there's little else available. I'm going to grow only kale in my brassica beds this year, because it's ridiculously easy, unlike cabbages and caulies, both of which I've tried with little success. I've never tried sprouts yet, but who needs em, when you've got kale?
                  Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

I have two of Hungry Gap (OK but stems are quite tough) and Red Russian (VERY nice!)
                    Meant to have two cavolo nero but didnt thrive for some reason this year. This lasted us all winter, about twice a week in some form.

In hind sight I wouldnt bother with the hungry gap next year.

Comment

Usually kale grows mainly through the winter and so usually there is not a space problem, so grow loads.You can always compost what you don't eat.

Ian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X