bye bye strawberries??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bye bye strawberries??

My strawberry bed in the front garden has evolved over the past few years. I have let the runners root themselves where they have landed really. However, we need to get rid of that area of the garden for various reasons. What I was wondering was, will any of my plants survive if I transplant them now? Is it completely the wrong time of year?
    Sorry for the daft questions but I am a bit of a novice really!!
    Thanks
    Mel :-)

i have been told on here that the best time to transplant runners from strawbs is in april,so you could be in luck!

i had strawbs in a big planter thingy last year,and not knowing any better,just let them get on with it-have runners that have taken root in all the nearby pots now,so have got to transplant those,so kinda in the same sort of situation as you. Have asked on here and have been told that april is the best time for me to pot up my baby plants,so should be the same for you.

hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks for that! I knew the question had probably been asked before
      Will keep that in mind and try to stall front garden 'improvements' until April
      Mel

Comment

Strawberries are like weeds.
        They'll be OK to move.
        Autumn is the usual time to transplant, but you'll be OK to do it within the next few weeks.

I suggest keeping only runners, to ensure that as many plants are as young and vigorous as possible because after the age of 3-4 years, strawberry plants often start to decline.

I bet that you could just rip them out of the ground and throw them onto the new plot and they'd still root themselves in. Not that I'm recommending such harsh treatment (but it wouldn't hurt to experiment, eh?).

Comment

Yeah as FB said, I pulled out all the runners from my strawberry bed, which I had missed, chucked them over by my shed and forgot them - hey presto I have a new strawberry bed!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X