what to do with my leeks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do with my leeks

Bought a couple of hundred leeks on the weekend for £7.00, they are to thin to pot out out and very close together in container, do I need to pick each one of these out and put in separate pot, they would never grow to pencil size where they are.

Please advise

marion

Hi Marrion, I have just been pricking some of mine out. I prick them out into module (40 to a standard seed tray) until I run out and then just prick them out into seed trays.

My leeks are not generally planted out until late May or into June as they tend to follow my first early potatoes and they stand well until planted out when they romp away with no leaf or root trimming.

Try putting some in an old tray and when its planting out time either break the tray away or tip the whole slab of leeks out. Plant this whole slab into some well tilled soil and mulch it with a couple of inches of grass clippings. Harvest when finger sized as baby leeks. They stay small as grown close together, are nicely blanched by the mulch and give a bit of a "wow" factor if entertaining friends.

Comment

They do need spacing out one by one, SORRY

Comment

Hi - I've got a seed tray with about 100 x 5cm seedling too. I'll probably leave mine another few weeks before I separate them - last year I was given dozens by someone who put a packet of seeds into a large pot and didn't separate them until July... which was quite easy because they weren't as delicate. I'm still enjoying the last of them now & will probably put some of the seedlings into the space which is left.
        http://www.greenlung.blogspot.com
        http://www.myspace.com/rolandfrompoland

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X