Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thiram on Beetroot

Hi

I was reading the post yesterday about the Haiti farmers burning seed and realized I had a pack of Spinach which have been treated with Thiram. I have searched the archive and I think it was Zazen who links to a post that states that treated seed should not be used for human consumption?

I understand the washing of my hands after handling the seed but should I be worried about the final plant?

regards

Dave
    Last edited by dave_norm_smith; 26-01-2011, 10:31 AM.
    Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

I have some celery seeds that have been treated. It you google Thiram, you'll find that it's perfectly safe to eat the food grown from these treated seeds. The fungicide is on the outside of the seed. Imagine how little there is and the fact that it will, no doubt, get washed away very quickly. Unless someone comes up with some evidence to the contrary, I'll try growing my celery seeds!

Comment

Hi

I started to look around after I posted and that is the conclusion I have come to also. However I will wear the gloves when I plant it and make sure that any spare seeds are well out of the way of my small garden helpers!

Dave
      Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think alot of sweetcorn seed is coated with something like this also, it's usually in small writing on the packet.
        "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

I had a box of seeds donated through here to me last year, and I am using them for the schools that I garden in - but a significant number were also coated which meant that they were unsuitable to be used and I had to get rid of them. I couldn't risk it, esp as I'm working with kids who might not be too careful with putting fingers in mouths etc.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X