Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can raspberries hack.....

abit of cold weather?

the reason i ask is, i bought 2 summer fruiting (i believe) canes from the pound shop, they were both single canes, roots wrapped in a bag, both looking very dormant.

Packaging says plant outside jan - may (not very specific) I left them in their packaging and thought it was probably best to wait until march when things perked up a little.

I had a peep today and one of them has produced a huge shoot, which is looking a little pink/yellow.

I feel like i ought to get moving with them but i arent sure if putting them outside now would just kill them?

Originally posted by AmyRose View Post
    abit of cold weather?

the reason i ask is, i bought 2 summer fruiting (i believe) canes from the pound shop, they were both single canes, roots wrapped in a bag, both looking very dormant.

Packaging says plant outside jan - may (not very specific) I left them in their packaging and thought it was probably best to wait until march when things perked up a little.

I had a peep today and one of them has produced a huge shoot, which is looking a little pink/yellow.

I feel like i ought to get moving with them but i arent sure if putting them outside now would just kill them?
    I'd get them in the ground. We've had a lot of hard frost up here recently and i didn't notice any signs of damage when pruning them the other day. Raspberries are very hardy.

Comment

Wonderful thank you, i was just reading a site about growing them, it said how to prepare the supports and the planting distance etc etc

it then said once in the ground cut back to about 6in above ground level, should i cut the new 'shoot' back too or just the old cane?

Much appreciated

Comment

abit of cold weather?
        Scotland is the home of raspberries, so that should answer your question

should i cut the new 'shoot' back too or just the old cane?
        I would cut it back, myself, because the cold will shock it anyway if it's been in a hot shop for a few weeks.
        You cut the canes back on a new plant to allow the roots to get going - then more shoots will appear as the days lengthen
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

give them a good overnight soak,get them into the ground and cut them back ,they are tough as old boots ,so good luck to you,the taste will be wonderful.....

Comment

I think they'll be fine too - we've got summer fruiting raspberry canes outside in the garden all the time and every year we have a good crop.

Comment

Cheers Both!

Either of you know anything about blueberries? got 3 of them at the same time (same style of packaging)

again a very vague jan - may

however as per the raspberries they are starting to show signs of life, I dont want to keep the roots bagged up but surely its too cold out there for them?

I was going to plant them in containers to keep control over the soil, i dont have a greenhouse so do you think they would be alright if i potted them up and left them in the spare room until it warms up?

I could open the blinds and perch them on somthing infront of the window for light?

:-s not sure what to do with them!

Comment

Cheers Both!

its too cold out there for them?

I was going to plant them in containers to keep control over the soil, i dont have a greenhouse so do you think they would be alright if i potted them up and left them in the spare room until it warms up?
                It's not so much the soil temperature that is the most important factor although it wouldn't be advisable to plant them in frozen ground. If the ground isn't too wet, they will be ok and as you plan to plant them in containers, you should have no problems. If you are really concerned, wrap the pots in a couple of layers of bubble wrap and fix a bit of fleece overhead.
                Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 31-01-2011, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Much appreciated, thank you!

Comment

blueberries? ...surely its too cold out there for them?
                    They will be fine. How to grow blueberries
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X