Parsnips

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parsnips

Can you grow them in peat pots because I don't think I will collect enough toilet rolls and I want to put them straight in the ground when ready.
    Belgrave-allotments.co.uk

Not really potty as if the root tip hits bottom it will fork and you will end up with snips like hands (lots of fingers).

I know what you mean though about a lack of dunny roll inners, we have been saving ours for months. I will be planting them up tonight, if there are any overs I will pm you.

Comment

Thanks piglet thats what I thought might happen, thanks for the offer of leftovers. I guess if I get desperate I could make some with thin card.
      Belgrave-allotments.co.uk

Comment

I germinated my 'snips' on damp kitchen paper. When they had just a tiny show of germination I put them into modules before transplanting into their final positions. I did not leave them long enough in the modules to grow long roots. I am now sprouting some more seeds but will put them straight into the ground off the paper (fiddly with tweezers!) and hope for the best.

Comment

how long did they take to germinate on the damp kitchen roll? I am going to do the same.
          smiling is infectious....

http://www.thehudsonallotment.blogspot.com/ updated 28th May 2008

Comment

Originally posted by LostthePlot View Post
            I germinated my 'snips' on damp kitchen paper. When they had just a tiny show of germination I put them into modules before transplanting into their final positions. I did not leave them long enough in the modules to grow long roots. I am now sprouting some more seeds but will put them straight into the ground off the paper (fiddly with tweezers!) and hope for the best.
            Why not just sow direct to the growing position ? moving each an every seems a nightmare to me..

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
              Not really potty as if the root tip hits bottom it will fork and you will end up with snips like hands (lots of fingers).

I know what you mean though about a lack of dunny roll inners, we have been saving ours for months. I will be planting them up tonight, if there are any overs I will pm you.
              Is it ok not to have started snips yet? Am a bit relieved to hear you say you are doing yours this week PW, but I haven't started ours yet. Am I leaving it a bit late?
              Last edited by madderbat; 13-03-2007, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Our packet says they should be sown in succession from Feb to May MB, so I wouldnt worry too much yet! We are sowing 2 rows at a time of 2 varieties, in succession, in the hopes of being able to harvest from September to January or February, and apart from some that we've germinated in toilet rolls (currently on the staging in the unheated greenhouse), we've only made one planting so far, last week on Wednesday. So, no dont worry yet!
                Blessings
                Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Hi Jane,

I have just potted up 56 bog rolls with pre-germinated seed and these will be planted out in a few weeks. As Mrs D is doing, I will be succession sowing in the raised beds every month till May but will again be using pre-germinated seed.

Comment

Thanks I'l start some on paper tomorrow and stagger it for a bit.

Got some leeks into t-rolls at the weekend, so hope they will go; only put 2/3 ungerminated seeds in each holder though, and did a couple of seed trays too for good luck. Trouble is I'm running out of space now - eek!
                    Last edited by Lesley Jay; 13-03-2007, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Lol! Arent we all running out of room now Jane! Every windowsil that gets sunlight plus all the space under the loft windows has plants or seedlings in it! The toms in the kitchen windowsil are now 10" tall, I've had to remove some suckers from them too!

Have a feeling we are going to have to put some in the greenhouse very soon! Just hope it doesnt get too cold in there for them as its really a bit too early!
                      Blessings
                      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                      Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                      Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                      On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Just planted my parsnip seedlings out in their loo rolls... Covered them in halved plastic bottles... I've been saving them for months...
                        My neighbours must think I'm a serious horder with the box of empty pop bottles at the side of the house..

Mike
                        I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy

Comment

Could someone pleas explain to me about the parsnips in toilet rolls etc as I havent got a clue!!! I'm new to all this and would be grateful for some help! Thanks.

Comment

Only the cardboard centres.
                            Fill with compost & set seeds normally
                            Stand on a seed tray & place in a warm light place.
                            When growing well leave in tubes & plant out in garden.
                            Last edited by bubblewrap; 16-03-2007, 11:08 PM.
                            The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                            Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by chicky View Post
                              Could someone pleas explain to me about the parsnips in toilet rolls etc as I havent got a clue!!! I'm new to all this and would be grateful for some help! Thanks.
                              A very warm welcome to the Vine, Chicky! Your only worry is that we may overwhelm you!

I'm pretty new here too, but with regard to parsnips, you can find all sorts of help by clicking on 'search' (top right-ish) and put in 'parsnips'. You'll fall off your seat with information!

In essence, because parsnip seeds can be a bit sulky if you put them straight in the ground, and take ages to germinate (if at all!) it's a good plan to sow them indoors in loo roll inners filled with seed compost - 2 or 3 at a time - and hoof out the weedy ones. This way, you can plant the whole loo roll out once the best seedling is looking pretty chipper, and you don't upset the root - which with parsnips is pretty important as they don't like that!

Have a browse, come and have a chat, ask anything you like, and above all, enjoy your gardening! Look forward to hearing more about you!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X