When to sow leeks?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to sow leeks?

From memory i thought i usually sow my leeks in January (always done musselburgh up to now).

i went to sow them yesterday and the back of the packet says March (they are alan titchmarsh organic something or other).

anyone offer any advice?

I'll start some middle of Feb. I did them really late last year (to beat the leek moth) but they never grew bigger than pencil size
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

that's helpful TS - thanks.

my last years ones are still frozen solid in the ground...hopefully get them out in the next few days...along with the frozen parsnips we DIDN'T have for christmas dinner and the frozen turnip the sheep and pigs DIDN'T get to eat...ho, hum, the joys....

Comment

I sow mine in March. We don't eat leeks until the Winter, so I, personally, am not looking for an Early / Autumn crop, and I think if they are sown early they are more prone to bolting.
        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I sowed some yesterday SN, they were Musselburgh. However, I am darn sarf . My packet from Wilcos said Jan-Feb indoors, or March for outdoors. I'm starting mine off indoors and then I'll move them out into the blowaway once they've got going.

Comment

Feb / March time for me although was thinking of doing a few earlier ones this year, maybe just a row though.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

i sowed some 2 weeks ago on a window sill.(early lyon) and there about 2" tall already.im going to sow some mussleborough in mid feb in the greenhouse then take them up the lottie prob end of march.
              "if im not up the allotment...im up the caravan"

bowers allotment society

Comment

I'll be sowing some very soon as I too waited until March/April last year and they didn't grow to full size.
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Up here in the north of Scotland, leeks used to be planted in the ground cleared from the crop of new potatoes. Sowing in march is therefore plenty of time for that but in reality, they can be sown from this time of year onwards.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X