Splitting Rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting Rhubarb

We have inherited a plentiful supply of rhubarb on our allotment. I suspect the plant, which has maybe a dozen heads, badly needs splitting into a number of smaller, and probably more productive plants.

Please can you experts advise on (a) when is best to carry out this task, and (b) how to do the splitting?

Thanks in Advance.

Dog House.
    E glande quercus......

Not done it myself, and clever grapes will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the answer to your questions are:
    • in winter when it's dormant (prob could do it now if you've just got buds showing)
    • with a sharp spade and a good deal of muscle. As long as you have a bud per section you should be ok.

BTW, welcome to the Vine!

Comment

Hi Dog House and welcome to the Vine.
      You can split your rhubarb now - you can split it into chunks with one bud showing, or two or trhree, whatever takes your fancy.
      Dig the crown out, then drive your spade through it to split it.
      Easy Peasy
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
        Not done it myself, and clever grapes will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the answer to your questions are:
        • in winter when it's dormant (prob could do it now if you've just got buds showing)
        • with a sharp spade and a good deal of muscle. As long as you have a bud per section you should be ok.

BTW, welcome to the Vine!
        Dog House - welcome.

I agree with Hazel - but if you have so many why not risk a few and see - I don't think you'll ruin the main root. I'll wait to be contradicted.
        The law will hang the man or woman
        Who steals the goose from off the common
        But lets the greater thief go loose
        Who steals the common from the goose
        http://johntygreentoes.blogspot.com/

Comment

What I do know is that even though two of us spent a whole morning digging out an unwanted enormous rhubarb on our plot, we must have inadvertantly left some bits in the ground as there's rhubarb shoots coming up!
          Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 12-03-2007, 06:45 PM. Reason: clarity of post!

Comment

I split mine over the weekend dug as much as I could up in one go and used a big knife to split it the main root was a good 20 cms in diameter so it has been there a long time planted 2 nice little once in the front vegpatch and the rest is being postedto other grapes freecycled etc. My 2 plants in the front are looking very happy so it must be allright

V

Comment

Rat is right, dig it up and split it, then replant with one or two buds per piece of root. Be prepared, though - the root may be enormous. Generally the advice is to dig the root up, leave on the surface to get a bit of frost, then replant.

Comment

Originally posted by silvermam View Post
                I split mine over the weekend dug as much as I could up in one go and used a big knife to split it the main root was a good 20 cms in diameter so it has been there a long time planted 2 nice little once in the front vegpatch and the rest is being postedto other grapes freecycled etc. My 2 plants in the front are looking very happy so it must be allright

V
                Yep! Thanks for mine Silvermam! I'll vouch for the fact they look very healthy.

Comment

In addition to Rats advice, crop very lightly your "new" crowns as they will need a season to establish themselves properly, and do plant them with plenty of manure as they are greedy feeders.

Comment

Thanks everyone, great advice.

Just to be clear, do I need to excavate the whole root before taking off a bud or two or can i split a bud or two off the main plant whilst it is still in the ground?

I am happy for the main plant to remain in situ but am keen to start some new plants and to share some with others.

thanks again

Dog House
                    E glande quercus......

Comment

Its always best to dig the whole root up, split it into sizeable chunks with a bud or two on and then replant in a new area with plenty of manure.
                      I just love her, but cant stand squealers.

Comment

Hello there DogHouse...and welcome to the Vine!!
                        You'll need to take up the whole crown , shake off the soil, and then you'll get an idea about where seems the 'right' choice of place to make the cut.
                        You'll need to take root too don't forget as this will feed the new buds.
                        If in doubt leave at least 3 buds per plant and plenty of root, evenly split between them. That way they will recover more quickly.
                        If they are really old crowns - ie big chunks of woody root with only one or two buds, then I'd chuck them and scrounge/buy afresh
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                          In addition to Rats advice, crop very lightly your "new" crowns as they will need a season to establish themselves properly, and do plant them with plenty of manure as they are greedy feeders.
                          Quite agree PW, and LOVE tonight's avatar ( have I seen right, it's a cow???)

Comment

Hello vine and welcome to the Doghouse! Doh!! I think I got it wrong again!

Rhubarb has different cultivars as I found out to my dismay this year! The rhubarb I have at home is large, rampant and sweet, whereas the rhubarb I inherited at the allotment is a dwarf version with very short bitter spears and is not worth a light in my opinion!
                            Timperley Early (bred close to where LJ lives I think!) is one named cultivar and there are quite a few more named cultivars.

Basically what I am trying to convey is 'suck it and see' before making a huge bed of rhubarb that may not be to your taste!

I am digging all mine out of lottie and importing my preferred rhubarb from home!

Rhubarb is pretty hardy and can stand a bit of abuse, so whatever you decide to do you should have good results!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice.

The plant delivers loads of good quality rhubarb so the type is not a problem.

I will split the plant over the weekend and let you know how I get on.

Dog House.
                              E glande quercus......

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X