Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leeks

sorry another stupid question.

In my book it says blanch to increase the length of the white stem. Gently draw dry soil around the stems when the plants are well developed. do this in stages, increasing the height a little at a time. If this means what I think it does how can you do this when your not supposed to fill the holes with soil.
    Belgrave-allotments.co.uk

Good question! I've never grown leeks though, so don't know the answer.
    You've just reminded me though that I was going to sow leeks today. Oops! Never mind, maybe a quick job for after work one day this week.

Comment

Hi Pottypotter, I think the key to this is 'when the plants are well developed' as by that time they should have filled out into the hole anyway,just don't earth them up when they are still skinny & pencil-like & haven't filled the hole up.
      Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

When you plant your leeks you make a hole with a dibber and drop the plants in, water and leave. The reasoning behind not filling the hole at the time is that you don't compact the soil. The holes will gradually fill themselves with dry soil trickling down into them, or the leeks themselves expanding to fill the holes. Any portion of leek above the ground will be green (still edible), but the white stem will be below ground. You can also blanch by planting them in pieces of drain pipe, but I've found this encourages them to rot.

Comment

Hi PP - I'm new to leeks too, however logic tells me that you only start to earth up the stems after the plants have grown big enough to fill the holes that you watered them into.

Does that make sense? Another grape will explain it much more clearly (if I'm right!), I'm sure.

Comment

oops....the girls beat me to it...but glad to know I was on the right lines!

Comment

Thanks it all makes sense now. I could of dug them up blanched them in boiling water and then re-planted them. Only joking.
              Belgrave-allotments.co.uk

Comment

I actually like the green part - in soups and stews it adds a bit of colour. I find that half and half suits me fine so I don't blanch. I do make good deep hole with me dibber though.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                  I actually like the green part - in soups and stews it adds a bit of colour. I find that half and half suits me fine so I don't blanch. I do make good deep hole with me dibber though.
                  Thats exactly what I do and most of the potleek growers who grow for show, also do!

It's all to do with the strain of the leek, which is bred to have a certain amount of white (6" in Newcastle for two leeks, and 5.5" in Northumberland for three leeks to a tight button) Once in the ground, blanching a pot leek does little to lengthen the white!

Blanch leeks are a different animal though and they are 'blanched' with all manner of apparatus!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

However you grow them, don't pull them up to harvest...just cut them off an inch below the soil and they'll regrow. Honest. Here's some I did before...
                    Attached Files
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi all! I have planted my leeks in trays and put them in the green house. They are doing well. I have never had a vegtable garden before so I am really clueless!!! Could somone please tell me what a dibber is???? Also I have obviously read all the threads so am I right in thinking- I dig a well watered hole for my leeks when I transplant them outside- but I Dont fill the hole in as the soil will either refill around the leeks etc???? And can you really cut them
                      an inch below soil and they will grow back? Like I said I am clueless so if someone could help I would be extremly grateful! Thanks.

Comment

Hi Chickie,

A dibber looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	dibber.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	2318555

There are variations but you get the idea. (mine are made from snapped wooden spade handles)

When you plant the leeks outside simply push the dibber into the soil to make a hole, pop the leek in so 50-75% of leek is below ground then fill with water. Over the next few weeks keep filling with water which will cause the soil to gradually fill the hole as well.

I have never tried cutting my leeks but it is meant to work.
                        Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Ahhhhh thanks for your quick response,thats great!!

Comment

One small tip is when you plant the leek ,Dip the roots in water before it
                            goes in the hole makes life a bit easier.
                            The force is strong in this one!

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                              However you grow them, don't pull them up to harvest...just cut them off an inch below the soil and they'll regrow. Honest. Here's some I did before...
                              I do the same with cabbages, 2Sheds. Cut it off and you get another. Cut a cross in the stump and you might get 4 small ones. Good eh? But I've never tried it with leeks. I shall now, though.

Flum
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X