Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asparagus raised bed on clay

Hi peeps,

Because my lotty is blessed with heavy clay I've decided to create a raised bed for my asparagus. Have prepped the area in autumn by adding almost a foot of manure to be dug in in spring. Am going to add compost and more manure when the bed is in place.

The question is should I add grit or sand as well?

I know the rationale behind adding these things but am worried that it could cause problems ie. turn my clay into concrete. One part of my allotment is quite sandy but was also almost impossible to dig as the soil was like iron. I'm worried a similar thing will happen to my new bed or any other part of the plot I add sand or grit to.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike

Hello Mike,

For hat it's worth I think you areon target with the manure to be dug in in spring. I think I would add sand too, but I don't think I would add that now: I think I would add a layer on top of the dung and dig it all in at the same time.

You could put a layer of black plastic on top to warm uip the soil and encourage worms and also to help supress weeds before you dig in.

I've never done this, so feal free to ignore!

Comment

Thanks LB1

I know lots of people have clay soil so has anyone out there had a negative experience when adding sand to improve drainage?

Maybe the person who had the plot before me added sand but not enough organic matter and thats why the soil went really hard?

Comment

Originally posted by hailtryfan View Post
        Thanks LB1

I know lots of people have clay soil so has anyone out there had a negative experience when adding sand to improve drainage?

Maybe the person who had the plot before me added sand but not enough organic matter and thats why the soil went really hard?
        Heavy clay here too. I expect your second comment is accurate. My ex-neighbour imported a load of sand into his clay vegetable garden. He had a lovely crop of root vegetables, but couldn't get any of them out of the ground when it set!
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
          My ex-neighbour imported a load of sand into his clay vegetable garden. He had a lovely crop of root vegetables, but couldn't get any of them out of the ground when it set!
          Ok. I'll incorporate some sand but sparingly. If it all goes wrong then at least asparagus dosen't need digging up

Comment

Not sure how far you are from a beach but seaweed makes a great mulch / soil improver for an asparagus bed. As you will have this for some years to come, I dug my bed to about 12 inches, replacing heavy clay with pea gravel for drainage, then layers of manure / compost and finally topsoil to raise it by about 4 inches.

Add coarse sand or grit to your plot at about 10% of area being covered, will help things, remember to mix only the first 6-8 inches....its only the topsoil you need to improve, over a period of time.

Ask a tree surgeon for a load of bark chippings...compost them for a year first, these are good at giving the soil volume.

Apart from that its just as much compost / manure type stuff you can get your hands on.
            Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Originally posted by Geordie View Post
              Not sure how far you are from a beach but seaweed makes a great mulch / soil improver for an asparagus bed. As you will have this for some years to come, I dug my bed to about 12 inches, replacing heavy clay with pea gravel for drainage, then layers of manure / compost and finally topsoil to raise it by about 4 inches.

Add coarse sand or grit to your plot at about 10% of area being covered, will help things, remember to mix only the first 6-8 inches....its only the topsoil you need to improve, over a period of time.

Ask a tree surgeon for a load of bark chippings...compost them for a year first, these are good at giving the soil volume.
              Good ideas. Especially adding pea shingle and seaweed.

Comment

If you have a trailer, and want some horse sh*t, I'm about an hour from you!
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                  If you have a trailer, and want some horse sh*t, I'm about an hour from you!
                  I really appreciate the offer Glutton4 but I have a source of free horse sh%t in Chelmsford. Need to get a trailer at some point as it's a pain filling the car up with black bin bags every few months.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X