sweet potatoes - please?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweet potatoes - please?

I would like to try to grow some sweet potatoes this year, preferably on the plot if not on a really hot patio/deck area. I would like to know if other vines have had success with these and could give me any advice. I would like to try to get some slips off supermarket ones if possible so any advice about growing this crop would be really useful. Thanks.

Hi I'm going to try sweet potatoes
    I have 2 that have chited so far so they might work the problem I've heard is that some supermarket wones have been sprayed so they dont sprout
    I cant rember who siad it but if you can get them to sprut then give it a go you have nothing to loose
    Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
    Dobby

Comment

Think Alison & Lost the Plot grew them last year, little bit of info in this thread.
      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...SWEET+POTATOES
      (Different 'Lost the Plot' person, just coincidence?)
      Last edited by SueA; 09-03-2007, 03:24 PM.
      Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Thanks LJ might have to get some
        Dobby

Comment

I best ask the boss first then ducks from Mrs D again
          maybe next year
          Dobby

Comment

I think I will have a go at 'googling' for a bit of advice as well. My first port of call was at this font of wisdom.

Comment

I did try last year, but they were a bit pathetic. Took some cuttings last autumn before the frost and they are currently growing in the conservatory and am hoping to take some further cuttings of them in a few weeks time ready to grow on for planting out rather earlier than last year. T&M did send them out very late so don't think they had sufficient growing season. Would have like to have been able to give you some Dobby seeing as you're pretty local but don't think I'll have any to spare. However if all goes well I suspect you could have some cuttings in the autumn for next year's crops if that's any good?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Just told Mr D of your kind offer Alison, he's got a broad grin at the thought! Thanks for the offer, if you have some spare come the autumn, then we'd appreciate it! I know you are local to us, we are planning on having a grapevine barbie for those local(ish), LJ and DDL are both up for it, so perhaps you and OH would like to come too?

BTW - Tescos are selling heated propogators at £5 at the moment, they've quite a bit of gardening stuff so Mr D says, some of it is good and good value, some is cheap rubbish, may be worth a look for some stuff for the front garden?
                Blessings
                Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Thanks Mrs D, was looking at the sweet pots earlier today, bit of a white fly problem but think I've sorted that by use of finger and thumb so fingers crossed.

BBQ would be good, keep us informed. May try Tesco on the way home tomorrow, have run out of space in my propogators today, planted up loads more chillis, peppers, cucumbers and aubergines as well as the first of the tomatoes. Need to plant more next weekend so a new propogator could come in handy!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

My slips arrived from the T&M the other day and I planted with them out in pots straight away and placed them in the greenhouce. They will be moved to o their final spot in about 2-3 weeks. However, the leaves on the slips seem to be withering. Anyone knows whether this is normal?

P.S. Also found this descriptive link about grow sweet potatoes:
                    http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/lawn_g...ome+Garden.htm

Comment

Quite frankly when my slips arrived last year I was pretty certain nothing would survive. I planted them all up in pots in the greenhouse and watered them well and think I only lost a couple - the rest perked up within a couple of days. I took cuttings last autumn before the frost and they rooted surprisingly well also which saves having to spend a fortune with T&M every year! Mind you, didn't get any crops bigger than a new potato either so don't think I'd have bothered buying any new. Think my main problem was that they arrived too late (later than ysb33r's I think) so never really got going until too late. Am keeping in large pots this year but will have to see how they go.

Comment

Well my sweet potatoes really perked up.

I now moved them from their pots to their spot in the allotment. They are now all ridged up and under black fabric.

Comment

Anyone harvested their sweet potatoes yet?

Mine has formed a lot of vine, but none of the leaves has turned yellow as yet.

Comment

Don't think your leaves will turn yellow, they're not part of the same family as normal spuds. Basically you need to dig them up before the first frost and dry them somewhere before storing. Don't know how long they'll store for cos didn't do very well either last year or this. Last year, I planted out too late and this one the weather wasn't warm enough. Suggest you also take cuttings off the vines at the moment so that you can plant them up again next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                              Suggest you also take cuttings off the vines at the moment so that you can plant them up again next year.
                              How does one take cuttings and how must they be stored over winter?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X