Frozen Unpicked Apples - A lesson

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen Unpicked Apples - A lesson

Im very lazy when it comes to picking my apples, I tend to get around to it sometime in december just before the birds start pecking at them.

This year I only realised I should get them in after several days of extremely cold weather, the night prior was -10 @ 93% humidity. So these apples were solid blocks of ice.

The first one went to mush while thawing, and I was sorely dissapointed at having wasted an entire crop of homegrown apples. But I had the idea of picking the rest and putting them in the cold part of my fridge. So they could thaw SLOWLY.

And it actually worked!

So two lessons learnt.

Or, bang 'em in the pan and slowly cook to turn into compote (spelling?) / stewed apples?

I may try that with my frozen brussels though (thawing slowly, rather than stewed brussels!)

Comment

Which apple variety do you have?
      Some of the very old varieties (e.g. D'Arcy Spice) will withstand several degrees of frost for days, without being damaged.

Comment

We found an apple last March still on the tree, bit of a trip for me so not been over to check how they are

Comment

Cider apples are often left on the floor here under the trees to go soft( and produce a few natural yeasts) before being collected and sent for pressing. Hadn't really thought about it till now, but I suppose that'd make them much easier to press!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

There is also ice cider !

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X