Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can onions and raspberries grow next to each other?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can onions and raspberries grow next to each other?

I wasn't sure if this should go on the Fruit forum or this one, please forgive me if I've got it wrong ...

I'm just wondering if I can put in over-wintering onions at the foot of some raspberry canes which I'm going to plant this week?

If not, is there ANY veg which could go there? My garden's fairly small and a bit of a weird shape so I'm really trying to utilise all the ground possible, and the patch I'm thinking of putting raspberries in is very sunny.

If anyone's got any suggestions I'd be very grateful to hear them, thank you!
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe!
    www.croila.net - "Human beans"

The only problem I forsee is that the rasps will throw out lots of foliage which will shade out the onions next year.

Comment

Ah ... Thank you Zazen. Good point.

Given that the row where I was thinking is facing south-south-west and it gets a lot of sun, I never thought that onions hiding beneath may be shaded out. Hmmmm.

Well, y'know, I had a MARATHON onion planting session today. Altogether I reckon I've got over a hundred planted, and I've got about twenty sets left. I'll maybe just shove them in there anyway and see what happens

Comment

If you've got 20 left, personally - I'd pop them in any large gaps inbetween the ones you've planted or on the edge; or as a row inbetween other crops - I know how foliage-y rasps get and if really close, the onions won't stand a chance.

Strawbs work well under rasps; they don't seem to mind...I put strawbs and chives around mine and it works quite well.

Comment

Thank you, I'm going to do this - chives! I was just desperate not to waste ANY space if I could help it.

I really don't know if I can stuff any more onions in anywhere else though. The garden's full to bursting as it is! Maybe put them in a couple of pots and give them away

Thanks for your help Zazen! Much appreciated.

Comment

Any feedback on how this combo of raspberries and onions worked out? i am thinking about the same, in the hopes to repel gofers... please let me know the results of your co-planting. Cheers from California, X.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post

Strawbs work well under rasps; they don't seem to mind...I put strawbs and chives around mine and it works quite well.
              Now that is interesting, I must try that.

Comment

Croila, onions grow very well in pots so that's an excellent way of growing a few of your extra sets

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X