blackcurrants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackcurrants

Hi, I have just taken advantage of Lidl's offers and bought some blackcurrants - they are sprouting and I have currently put them in the greenhouse. I also have some raspberries in their pots (outside) waiting to be planted out

My question is - we have had heavy frosts the last 2 nights though the days have been beautifully sunny - can I plant these out in the next day or so OR should I wait until frosts have gone (and I am away for a few days too)?

thanks becs

They are sprouting????

Oh dear- sounds like they have been kept indoors and they think it's Spring!
    Are they in pots??? if not- pot them up now!
    The frost will certainly kill off any new green growth...and the heat in the greenhouse during the day will encourage them into leaf.
    In at night- out during the day for a few days.

I'd certainly wait til you get back as far as the blackcurrants are concerned as they'll need hardening off.

Rasps???anytime between now and Spring i'd say...just give them a good mulch on top to protect the roots- and just make sure the ground isn't frozen when you plant them out
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

yeah well... Lidl don't know what they are doing re plants (even the guy in the store said that!)

ok.. will work on hardening them off and get everything out together

thanks

Comment

I have just done the same I have blackcurrant and redcurrant and raspberry.

My balckcurrant has also started sprouting green bits too. So do you think that the best thing is to pop them in pots and harden them off for a bit?

My raspberry has a large green shoot on it too ... what shall I do with that? should I cut it off?
        Little ol' me

Has just bagged a Lottie!
        Oh and the chickens are taking over my garden!
        FIL and MIL - http://vegblogs.co.uk/chubbly/

Comment

Just pot them or plant them and they'll be fine. The green shoots that think it's spring will obviously not make it, but as long as you protect the roots from hard frost the plants themselves should be fine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X