early strawberries for next year?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• early strawberries for next year?

I have sucessfully grown strawberries in the ground for the past four years.

Planted a whole new bed the other day from runners and had about four left over.

Heres my question...

I potted them into one big pot to sit in the unheated greenhouse.

In theory I was hoping these may produce strawberries a few weeks earlier than the ones in the ground next year but Im not sure how to care for them?

Just leave the ones in the ground to do their own thing, just watering well in dry weather and results have been fantastic.

Do I need to keep the pot in greenhouse watered over winter? Its sitting in a bowl of water at moment.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    x

I would leave your pot outside for a bit until we have a frost forecast, then move it into the greenhouse. Don't overwater.

Comment

Hi Bramble Lover

Last year I kept my strawberries in pots in our unheated polytunnel all winter and they were fine. I just checked them now and again to see if they were dry but they didn't need to be watered very often at all really. When (eventually) spring came they were fine and I watered accordingly. They had flowers on them in May and then the little berries started to develop. Lovely fruit in June and July, a bit earlier than outside plants would have, especially here in Angus. Strawberries are very hardy, and I don't like fiddling with things too much really I just like them healthy and growing well so I think if you leave in the greenhouse I think they'll be fine.

Comment

I was thinking about doing this as well. Although I did read that the unheated greenhouse offers no advantage over cloches placed over plants in the ground. But as I have a greenhouse now, why not try?

The only thing I was wondering is, will the greenhouse windows and door still be closed when the plants flower in May? And will this mean I have to hand-pollinate the flowers if insects can't get in?

Comment

Hi Beat the Seasons

I wondered about pollination too though I can leave my greenhouse door undone at the allotment which should enable the pollinators to get in. (Well in theory anyhow)

I have put my pot in a large saucer and every couple of weeks filling this with water assuming the plants will just take what they need as they would in the ground.

Will see how it gets on next year and hopefully have some early strawbs.

Comment

I just been given some strawberry seeds this morning, although it says sow Jan-March.
            Would it be too soon to sow now! I just want to get going in the new greenhouse lol.
            Also bought overwintering onion seeds, 'Kelsae' say's sow Dec, so same question for these, am i in too much of a hurry?? Advice please.

Ta.
            paul.
            Help Wildlife.
            Take only photos-leave only footprints-Kill only time.

Comment

Pauco, there's little point in sowing when the days are shortening.

Wait until after Xmas, then the days start to lengthen and you can get started
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                Pauco, there's little point in sowing when the days are shortening.

Wait until after Xmas, then the days start to lengthen and you can get started
                Thanks Two Sheds.

Just wishfull thinking
                Help Wildlife.
                Take only photos-leave only footprints-Kill only time.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X