Basil, coriander, parsley through winter

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basil, coriander, parsley through winter

is it possible to successfully sow these from seed indoors throughout the winter?

I'd say, parsley yes, basil and coriander, very unlikely.

Only speaking from stuff I've tried, it may be different for you. Also, it could be worth trying, it's only a few seeds.

I'm sure there'll soon be more knowledgeable grapes along soon.
    My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

I find that nothing wants to germinate in the shortening days. Winter herbs are best sown in late summer, then overwintered indoors.

But by all means, have a go
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Parley and coriander are pretty winter hardy.... but don't grow much. best to bring established plants into a greenhouse.

Basil is very tender.

You could in theory grow any of them in pots in the kitchen but you'd really need a fishtank light to stop them getting too lanky.

I start sowing Parsley in Jan for next year's crop anyway

Comment

All right, all right. I'll get back into pedants corner, but shouldn't the moderators have moved you into the herb bed.

They are usually so quick.

valmarg

Comment

Originally posted by valmarg View Post
            All right, all right. I'll get back into pedants corner, but shouldn't the moderators have moved you into the herb bed.

They are usually so quick.

valmarg
            Pedant indeed. Nasty little thing like work gets in the way you know
            WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
              Pedant indeed. Nasty little thing like work gets in the way you know
              Remind me about it. Something like the 9-5 grind.

valmarg

Comment

Could I apologise to you all, I was being a bit daft when I posted my pedantic remark. No offence was intended, just a bit of a joke - having drink taken.

Having been a bit daft, could I make some constructive comments.

Basil is an annual so will not survive the Winter. It needs to be sown in Spring, ready for your tomato crop. I have never sown it in Autumn, simply because, if you havn't got home grown tomatoes, you've nothing to use it on.

Hardy herbs are thyme, sage, marjoram, ?oregano and fennel.

Parsley is, I understand, a biennial, so if you've had a good crop this year, you should get a good crop next year, BUT sow seed so that you have a succession, ie so that when your plants have died next year you have plants to replace them. I'm up to my oxters in parsley this year, but will fill freezer with chopped version.

valmarg

Comment

hardy basil

Several years ago I got a basil start from a neighbor. We live at about 5500 ft. elevation in Central Nevada, USA where it gets down below 0 degrees F. This basil comes back every year. I have tried to identify what type it is with no luck. It is very pungent, with smallish leaves and has a purple blossom. Anyone have an idea what type of basil this may be? Maybe we have developed our own new extra hardy strain!!

Comment

Possibly it is African Blue Basil (I ordered a plant of this recently at Poyntzfield Herbs) which is a perennial, hardy basil that has blue/ purple flower spikes.

Comment

You can start basil now on the windowsill and it should come up.
                      http://petersgarden101.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Poolcue View Post
                        You can start basil now on the windowsill and it should come up.
                        Does that count for Basil plants that's to eventually grow outside aswell or will they not transplant easily if they are fully grown by May?
                        www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Chef_uk View Post
                          Does that count for Basil plants that's to eventually grow outside aswell or will they not transplant easily if they are fully grown by May?
                          Yes they can be hardened off later in the year
                          http://petersgarden101.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I've just sown basil, thyme, oregano and parsley. All pots on my windowsills.
                            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Sorry to intrude, but I wanted to grow these through the winter too.

However, I have a growbox for chillies with heatmats and T5 lighting. Would they manage OK in that over winter?
                              Last edited by robfosters; 26-01-2012, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X