Straw for strawberries?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straw for strawberries?

I am going to grow strawberries next year, and would like to use straw as a mulch (here in the New Forest I have very free-draining soil) and also as a slug/rain splash deterrent. However, I don't need a full-sized bale,and have nowhere to store the excess. Does anyone know where I could obtain a reasonably-sized amount at a reasonable price? I will be growing a couple of 10ft rows. Any suggestions for alternatives?

this is a great time to collect free straw. just wait until the farmer has lifted his bales and then go along the rows collecting what his tractor couldnt bale. they wont mind. and to be on the safe side just ask before you do. you'll get more than enough for acouple of rows of strawbs

Comment

Yes, I live on a farm and people have come to us before with their own bag/sack and ask if they can have some for a few pounds. No problem.

Comment

... or if you dont have access to a farm - pet shops sell small bags of straw for animals. Usually a couple quid for a small bag.

Comment

Pet shops, as Chris says. Or those large "garden centres" that sell lots of plastic tat
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X