Tomatoes And Catapillers!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomatoes And Catapillers!!

I have been inundated this year with catapillers in both my allotment and home greenhouses, eating toms, peppers and chillis!!

I have never had catapillers do this, maybe its due to me netting all my brasicas (although that just helped the little silver fly thing multiply), so they are taking revenge in the greenhouse?

Wierdly my outdoor ones are fine??

Anyone else having an issue this year?

Many Thanks

I have had the same problem and I also netted all my brassicas. My outdoor toms were o.k. May have to net all the openings to my greenhouse next year and hope that it wont effect the ventilation. Dont want the same trouble again.
    johntheeng

Comment

I ended up with caterpillars in mi greenhouse this year not just the little ones, but the great big fat green ones. They nibbled & munched on most of mi tomato plants. I've even had them on mi squash...nothing seems to have escaped, grrrrrrr.

Comment

Originally posted by jonohanson View Post
        I have been inundated this year with catapillers... eating toms, peppers and chillis!!... maybe its due to me netting all my brasicas
        Do you mean it's cabbage white caterpillars eating your toms & chillies?

(I would suspect it's a different species attacking the greenhouse though)
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          Do you mean it's cabbage white caterpillars eating your toms & chillies?

(I would suspect it's a different species attacking the greenhouse though)
          Looks like cabbage whites, also small brown ones, and green and brown ones.

They have eaten some toms but mainly leaves, on one plant they ate through the stem!!

Comment

I have been battling with caterpillars on my toms in the greenhouse. These caterpillars are anything up to 1.5 inch long and mostly bright green with darker lines down either side, the larger ones seem to be darker, even turning brown. Frustrating as they take a chunjk out of one tom and move on. They are very hard to spot, the best way I have found is to slightly shake the stems of the plant just enough so the fruit stay on, I get a few caterpillars dropping on the floor to be squished, seems to be keeping the numbers down.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X