Raspberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberries

I want to grow Raspberries next year on my allotment and need some variety advice please. I would like to have a succession of fruit from early to late season...I dont have a clue at all about varieties, can you advise me please?

Many thanks!

Mr Photo.
    -Photo-

My Allotment Blog Last updated 05/05/10

Try this link Ken Muir Ltd - Raspberries

Comment

I find welsh fruit stocks web site to be very useful as it gives advice on cropping dates.

Raspberry Canes | Raspberry Plants from Welsh Fruit Stocks
      Last edited by flighty1; 14-09-2010, 03:14 PM.

Comment

For the late Autumn raspberries, I can recommend Joan J, I'm absolutely blown away by the amount and quality of fruit I've got off mine this year.
        I've got a 6 or 7 metre row and there is enough to keep a 4 person family happily in raspberries since they started cropping, can't remember when, but must have been early August.
        About £3 - £4's worth at cheap supermarket prices, per day.
        "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
          For the late Autumn raspberries, I can recommend Joan J, I'm absolutely blown away by the amount and quality of fruit I've got off mine this year.
          I've got a 6 or 7 metre row and there is enough to keep a 4 person family happily in raspberries since they started cropping, can't remember when, but must have been early August.
          About £3 - £4's worth at cheap supermarket prices, per day.
          polka are also good late berries,and i think another is called tulameen,if i have the spelling right,once planted,leave 12-18ins above ground,you get loads in july/august ,then when new stems have grown fully you get lots more in august/sept/oct,just the first year,when finished cut to ground level each year as they grow on new wood,and they do taste so good

Comment

I have all gold as a late variety but will be digging them out this year as I find them lacking in flavour. Not sure if I will replace with Joan J or Tulameen. Maybe both.

Ian

Comment

ive just ordered some Polka canes, i remember reading that they were meant to be better than autumn bliss, so i cant wait to taste them next year!
              http://pot-to-plot.blogspot.com/ My brand spanking new plot

Comment

I've got Autumn Bliss and they've never lived up to expectations. I'm thinking of replacing them with Polka.
                Wendy

Comment

I've got some Polka arriving next month - 20 plants ! (I'll be eBaying the spare ones)

Mr TS has decided he likes raspberries after all; now that he's eaten the real thing. Up to last year, he thought that the red fruits on blackberry plants were raspberries.
                  Last edited by Two_Sheds; 29-09-2010, 07:40 AM.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
                    I have all gold as a late variety but will be digging them out this year as I find them lacking in flavour. Not sure if I will replace with Joan J or Tulameen. Maybe both.

Ian
                    I too am going to dig out my all gold once they've finished fruiting, the flavour is ok (just more mild I guess) - but like someone else on here said the fruits are SO delicate... as soon as they're picked and are moved about (even from garden to house) they start turning to liquid!

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      I've got some Polka arriving next month - 20 plants ! (I'll be eBaying the spare ones)

Mr TS has decided he likes raspberries after all; now that he's eaten the real thing. Up to last year, he thought that the red fruits on blackberry plants were raspberries.
                      Where did you get them from?

Comment

Originally posted by jojo2910 View Post
                        Where did you get them from?
                        I can't remember: I ordered them back in June
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

And Joan J have the advantage of being thornless

Comment

I bought some Polka last year....hate to tell you this, but they were absolute rubbish. I planted 6 canes last Nov, 2 died after the snow, 2 struggled on until June then died and the other 2 produced maybe 6 tiny fruits and look like they wont survive the winter .

Before anyone jumps in and says its something I did wrong, I also have 2 all golds, 2 autumn bliss and 10 summer tulameens, which all produced a reasonable crop, the autumn bliss outshone everything by far.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X