Recipe for Swiss Chard - Trouchia!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipe for Swiss Chard - Trouchia!

Since my Swiss Chard is coming in, I thought I'd share a recipe for it. A friend from Nice gave it to me when I lived in France. It's a bit like a quiche, but denser. You can eat it warm, but it's lovely cold. If you have any nice picnic weather, I suggest making some of this and taking it along!

Trouchia

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 large red onion, quartered and thinly sliced crosswise
    1 bunch chard, leaves only, coarsely chopped
    Salt and freshly milled pepper, to taste
    1 garlic clove
    6 to 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley
    2 tablespoons chopped or torn basil leaves
    2 teaspoons chopped thyme leaves
    1 cup grated Gruyère cheese
    2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a 10inch skillet. Add the onion and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until completely soft but not browned, about 15 minutes. Add the chard and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the moisture has cooked away and the chard is tender, about 15 minutes. Season well with salt and freshly ground pepper. Meanwhile, mash the garlic in a mortar with a few pinches of salt, then stir it into the eggs along with herbs. Combine the chard onion mixture with the eggs, stir in the Gruyère cheese and half the Parmesan.

Preheat the broiler. Heat the remaining oil to the skillet and when it's hot, add the eggs. Slide the pan back and forth a few times to make sure the eggs are not sticking. Keep the heat at medium high for about one minute, then turn it to low. Cook until the eggs are set but still a quite moist on top. Add the remaining cheese, slide the pan under the broiler and broil until browned.

Serve the trouchia in the pan or slide it onto a serving dish and cut into wedges. The gratined top and the golden bottom are equally presentable.
    http://www.twitter.com/sbeneli

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X