Glut of apples

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glut of apples

I took on an allotment last year. Most of the holders have at least one apple tree, and there are many common trees with fruit which anyone may take. A lot of this fruit is simply left to rot, which appears a shame.

So I am going to try to organise a cider weekend. The idea is to collect as much good fruit as possible and press and convert it into something drinkable.

Has anyone else undertaken such a project, and if so, was it a success? The apples are very mixed, a lot of cookers as well as eaters. Such eaters as I have tried tend to be on the tart side. No one seems to have any idea what varieties they are, nor care very much. It is sad, but no one seems to complain their fruit is being stolen.

Any advice or alternative suggestions gratefully received. We don't have a fruit press or crusher, nor is there mains power available anywhere on the site.

Thank you

Rob
    Last edited by rob the roller; 20-08-2010, 12:07 PM.

Whereabouts are you Rob?

Is there a local apple day/weekend where you can take your own apples and get them pressed?

Comment

My OH made a press which works brilliantly out of some wood, a plastic chopping board some tubing and a roasting tray....(no sticky backed plastic though lol)
      Good luck it sounds a brilliant idea.
      I have heard of people putting surplus fruit on freecycle too or doing swaps. I hve swapped a load of my black currant jam for a load of plum jam and some apples...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X