Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tomatoes now: flowering trusses, remove?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomatoes now: flowering trusses, remove?

My cordon tomatoes (all Garderners' Delight) are just now beginning to become red, however, there are still trusses with tiny berries and further up with flowers open/yet to open. Should i remove these, since there's no point letting the plant put energy into them when they probably won't have the time to mature?

Thanks!

Have you nipped the head of the plant out! I usually take the smallest last truss off when I do this, and leave a few leaves above the last truss.
    Once you stop the plant the fruit will mature quicker anyway.
    Mr TK's blog:
    http://mr-tomato-king.blogspot.com/
    2nd Jan early tomato sowing.

Video build your own Poly-tunnel

Comment

Hallo Tomatoking, yes i stopped all my tomatoes (including bushes) about a week and a half ago. On the cordons, there are at least two leaf branches above the last truss.

Am tempted to nip off all flowers and very small tomatoes, as i think i have enough full-sized or nearly-full sized ones to satisfy my needs (should they redden up). Would doing this speed up ripening of the rest, do you reckon?

Thanks

Comment

Probably slightly ddiogyn, go for it lol.
        Mr TK's blog:
        http://mr-tomato-king.blogspot.com/
        2nd Jan early tomato sowing.

Video build your own Poly-tunnel

Comment

I found when I "stopped" the cordons, they immediately charged off and created lots of strong sideshoots!
          Also, a couple of varieties (GD I think, not sure of other) when stopped, created a massive truss with loads and loads of flowers on - so the greenhouse is more jungle-like than ever!
          S

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X