Courgettes in growbags

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courgettes in growbags

This year I grew my courgettes in growbags, 3 per bag, but do you think 3 in one bag (although it has the markings to cut holes for 3 plants) is too much? I'm a beginner at veg growing (this is only my second year), and had never used growbags before this year .

Each one of my courgette plants would have covered over 3 growbags.
    "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

salaam

aaaaargh!!!

I am growing courgettes in plastic troughs, 2 in each trough and i managed to get a pretty decent harvest and still am...

here are some pics of my courgette grow..

Comment

Comment

if your courgette is growing around a few inches and then withering away and yellowing , its because they have been partially pollinated by the bees, so you will have to hand pollinate them, if any one needs to know how to do it just ask me comrades

aaargh !!

w/salaam
          Last edited by muslimgrower; 18-08-2010, 04:59 PM.

Comment

I'd have thought grow bags were too shallow, and 3 is definitely too crowded.

I'm happy to be corrected though
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I think 2 courgettes per growbag would be more than enough

Comment

I grow mine in morrison buckets but feed and water regularly. they don't last as long as the ones in the ground but still give a decent crop. Dena

Comment

Originally posted by muslimgrower View Post
                  salaam

aaaaargh!!!

I am growing courgettes in plastic troughs, 2 in each trough and i managed to get a pretty decent harvest and still am...
                  Yes but I can see from your plants that you have only had a few courgettes from each plant. Each of mine has given me 10's and 10's. Probably 60+ each plant.

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
                    Yes but I can see from your plants that you have only had a few courgettes from each plant. Each of mine has given me 10's and 10's. Probably 60+ each plant.
                    how do u manage to get that many.. I only get 1 per plant at a time, if there are more on the plant they just start withering and yellowing...

@ 3 per grow bag... I think 1 per grow bag is enough
                    http://bageechah.blogspot.com/

Comment

I know it does feel like a waste of valuable patch space but courgette plants in the ground really do produce a lot more than in a container. I've got one in a container which has given me about three courgettes, it never grew very big and is now mildewed almost to death. But the ones in the ground just keep on giving. I've packed mine in, but a freind of mine has his in acres of space and they are popping them out left right and centre - he must have had 30 from one plant. It's agonising for those of us with small patchs but they just need as much space and soil as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by falkon View Post
                        how do u manage to get that many.. I only get 1 per plant at a time, if there are more on the plant they just start withering and yellowing...

@ 3 per grow bag... I think 1 per grow bag is enough
                        Well this is the best year I've ever had with them, so you could say I've been working towards it. I can only say the same I said on the glut thread.
                        I've given them loads of space each and some of them had alot of manure on the bed (the ones that haven't are only a tiny bit smaller), they haven't been watered hardly at all and even though they stopped producing such huge numbers while we had a drought, they still produced usually one a day.
                        I haven't fed, apart from maybe once or twice when they started producing.
                        I've pulled bits off, chopped bits off and they still keep going.
                        Four of them have now started producing new shoots at their base and 2 of them are producing 2 or 3 courgettes a day now, each.

The one thing I did really differently this year, was start them off early in a heated propagator, put them in something like 8" pots, grew them fast and put them outside in the daytime as soon as poss. Then as soon as they were ready, they went straight out, ignored the weather, then covered them up with a bucket on cold (ie most) nights for a couple of weeks, they lived through very cold frosts.
                        That early start seems to have made a huge difference. As I think I said on my blog, I think it's down to the roots, they got alot down early.

My 2nd lot of courgettes (only 2 plants this time) are just about starting to produce, when normally the first lot are dying off, so even more....

Comment

Originally posted by Nik View Post
                          I know it does feel like a waste of valuable patch space but courgette plants in the ground really do produce a lot more than in a container. I've got one in a container which has given me about three courgettes, it never grew very big and is now mildewed almost to death. But the ones in the ground just keep on giving. I've packed mine in, but a freind of mine has his in acres of space and they are popping them out left right and centre - he must have had 30 from one plant. It's agonising for those of us with small patchs but they just need as much space and soil as possible.
                          I think that is probably exactly the answer, they need a huge space to do well and from what I've had experience with in the past, they like a bed to themselves.

I've seen others courgettes, they say they've done really well and I think they're nothing compared to mine, now that's not me being conceited, that's just me being honest. And without failure, the others are all packed in too close.
                          It's the old adage, grow one plant well, rather than three plants badly. From that one plant you'll get much more than you would from the 3 slowly grown ones.

Comment

If using growbags cut in half and stand on their end and plant one per half bag. Gives the plants more depth of soil.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
                              If using growbags cut in half and stand on their end and plant one per half bag. Gives the plants more depth of soil.

Ian
                              Thanks for the tip, I'll try that next year. I did have a fairly good crop growing them like I did. The reason I did it was that the growbags did say ideal for marrows...and I didn't have enough space in the raised beds .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X