Rhubarb, Rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb, Rhubarb

Now this may seem a daft question, but here goes. I am growing rhubarb for the first year and know that it should not be harvested in the first year, but what do I do with the fruit and leaves of this first year growth? Do I pick them and throw away or leave them to rot - surely not?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Just when you make ends meet, someone moves the ends.

Strange as it may sound, you do indeed leave them to rot. I think the plant withdraws nutrients from the stalks helping to strengthen the root for next year.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

If you pick them you might as well cook the stems. For the first year you do indeed leave them to rot as Shirl says. This lets the plant make a really good root system and builds up the "crown" for production next year. Once they have gone brown and floppy or crispy depending on the weather you can add them to your compost heap.

Comment

Rhubarb

Thanks both of you, now I'm happy.
        Just when you make ends meet, someone moves the ends.

Comment

You'll be even happier next spring when you're picking your own rhubarb

Comment

The first frosts usually kill off this years growth and they can then be added to the compost. The crowns can be damaged by frost so as it is the first year I would cover them with some loose straw or fleece for the winter. (just as a precaution)

Ian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X