Bolted beetroot :(

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolted beetroot :(

My beetroot (flippin' boltardy as well) has bolted I'm pretty sure its down to not being watered enough (our water butt has been empty for months so I am trying to be sparing with the tap water to avoid waste). When I pulled up a couple to see what they were doing all they have are carrot-like roots with a slight bulb at the top. This is the second year I've had no beetroot (slugs got all sowings last year despite best efforts!) so think I need to try one more sowing this year before I give up and try again next year. I thought I'd try them in containers as I've not really got any other spaces but wasn't sure how deep it would need to be. Any advice (other than water more often presumably... )?
    Last edited by w33blegurl; 27-07-2010, 01:10 PM.
    If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

i do feel for you,but if you look at one of the other threads you will see that we have the opposite problem,when i lived in surrey,i used to bury nearly 6ins of newspapers laid flat under my veg patch(trick told to me by old gardener next door) in early spring and it virtually removed the need to water when plants had started growing away,try it next year,try one bed done and one not,the difference will amaze you..good luck ..

Comment

Thanks for the tip Buffs, will definitely give it a go, we've just had no rain here other than very short showers for ages! Everything is so dry so anything to help reduce watering is good!
      If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

Comment

make sure its a really thick layer 9/10ins down,and try to divert any rain that way,or bathwater,make sure its soaked,then put all the topsoil back on,done in the spring,the march/april weather usually does the rest,you now have a reseviour under your veg,to provide ample moisture,as for beetroot,try cylindra(tube shaped) as they seem to bear dryness better,and have a great taste,cook and serve instead of pots sometime,tastes lovely and looks different..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X