No grapes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No grapes?

We had loads last year, but not a sign this year.

What on earth is going on? I had planned on wine but not a sign.

Mr Z has been saying 'they were late last year'....but if they aren't showing now there's no chance.

He chopped it back last year; back to old wood....what did he do wrong?

[Note, it's not my fault, it's his...]

Yours generally

Zaz, when I left home my grapes were just starting to show, but only just. I am a good few hundred miles further south than you, perhaps patience could be in order?
    I cut my vine back to old wood as well, I actually pruned it quite hard back, but mine seems to be ok.
    From memory, last year was the first year with fruit for yours??? Are there some vines, like some apple trees that only fruit biannualy?

Other than that....... I'm stuffed!!
    Bob Leponge
    Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Ok...if yours are just beginning to show [I'm sure you said the same last year.....must learn some patience.....]

thanks Bob. I'll stop looking at them for a while.

Comment

My outdoor vine is covered with bunches of tiny green grapes so I would think yours should be showing by now. Maybe Mr Z cut it back a bit too hard or maybe it is just a bit young & will fruit again next year? I prune mine in late winter but I always try & cut the fruiting bits back to just after where there was a bunch of grapes last time, I've no idea if this is right but I figure if it fruited there last time it will this & it seems to work. Anything which hasn't fruited I cut back to just a couple of buds from the main stems, I don't have a proper framework though as I've let it grow a bit wild over an arch. I'm having to cut back the vines every week at the moment to keep it in check, I cut two leaves past the bunches & any non-fruiting bits right back to just a bud or two again, mine's a 'Rembrandt' by the way.
        When I planted mine it didn't fruit at all for about the first 3 years but it has done every year since & it's probably about 8 or 9 years old.
        Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

I got a Marechal Foch from morrisons earlier this year, with one tiny bunch of grapes on it, i repotted to a 20L pot and it grew like mad, i just left it and checked it was spread out, occasionaly spraying for mildew , gave it a few feeds of miracle grow, its now about 3 meters high and nearly 4 meters wide

ive got about 30 bunches of mini grapes on it, the grapes are only 3/8 inch diamiter, im not sure if this is a small variety or its because ive got too many on them or its just not late enough in the year

single grapes keep ripening here and there not all together ,once they look ripe , i keep eating them trying to get them before the birds do as soon as they ripen the birds grab them

They seem quite strong but edible, i thought they would be just for wine there quite sharp but i like to eat them
          Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

As my partner left two established grapevines at his house (which was sold in February), we planted two new grapevines in March (sorry can't remember their varieties) at the allotment. As they need to be trailed using wires etc, they won't be producing 'propper grapes' for a few years yet (as they are being grown to make wine). However as we need to pick off any sidewards growth it meant that last week some small bunches of very small grapes had to be picked off too. This year we'll just have to use something else to make the wine from e.g. blackberries, rosehips, elderflower, elderberries, cranberries as we've tried them all before and have been very successful with it.

Comment

I always prune my grape right back to one bud on a spur from the main 'rod'. I didn't get many grapes last year, but the year before it fruited very heavily, and things look promising this year too. The grapes are about pea size at the moment, so i would think if you were going to get any they would be there by now. My vine is about 5 years old.
              It covers the trellis and needs to be pruned regularly throughout the summer, to one leaf on a non-fruiting branch, then 4 leaves past a bunch. This carries on all summer, so it's quite a job, but it generally seems to have worked with all the vines i have taken cutting of though all my house moves.
              I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
              Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X