Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatoes....in same plot, or not?

Hey,

I have 4 potatoe plots. One of which is in the same plot as last year. They dont seem to have done half as well as the other 3. They are, however, a different variety. I do seem to remember hearing that you can't plant potatoes in the same plot 2 years on the trot? Is that correct? If so, why? What does it do to them? Is there anyway of rescuing them? How many years do you have to wait inbetween if this is the case?

Thanks

Cat x

The reason is to reduce the chances of disease accumulating in the soil, so that next year all the nasty bugs such as wireworm, blight spores etc, won't have overwintered and are ready to infect your next potato crop. A 3 year crop rotation is usually recommended.
    Last edited by Capsid; 23-07-2010, 02:33 PM.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

As said above, it's partially to avoid nasties building up but it's also for the fertility of the soil. Different types of crop do add or remove different things to the soil and over time the fertility of the soil is improved by varying what is grown in it.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Planting anything in the same area year after year will result in diminishing returns!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

As the others have said, growing a hungry crop like spuds will take a lot of goodness out of the soil. That goodness needs to be replaced in the form of manure/compost etc.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks, that does explain it. What crops would you suggest to rotate with things like potatoes then? Is it generally crops that grow underground and the next year crops that grow over ground or is that not how it goes? Is there not anywhere you can read about crop rotation and what crops to plant each year??

Comment

Hi Cat.

Try peas, broad beans, carrots, parsnips or any of the Allium family for your next years crop, then the year after next.. the cabbage family..but you may have to add certain things to your soil each year dependant on what you are growing, for example; the cabbage family plants like a little lime in the soil.
              Best of luck any way, its always worth trying things out to see if they work or not, that way we all learn.

Comment

Originally posted by catkeeble View Post
                Is there not anywhere you can read about crop rotation and what crops to plant each year??
                try typing "crop rotation" into Google

here's your starter for ten: DIY: Vegetable Garden: Crop Rotation Made Easy - Danny Lipford
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks...will need to take a look...I think as this is only my second year it hasn't much made a difference. I assume it will be more important when doing it year on year though?

Comment

Mosts studs have come up much smaller than usual this year.
                    Maybe that particlar vareity needs a bit more water than the other ones?..or maybe they are just a smaller potato anyway!!
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X