Small garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small garlic

I've had some quite small garlic along with some nicely sized ones. My question is, (and yes, I have tried the excellent search thread, but can't find anything and then my patience ran out) can I save the smallest bulbs to use for next years plants, or will they produce small garlic again? The "proper" size look great in plaits, but I thought it might be the best way to use the little ones as next years crop. They do have perfect cloves, just little.
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Hi Florence,
    I always use the small cloves/bulbs for cooking and save the largest for re-planting - that way you build a bigger crop of larger bulbs.
    "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."-- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Do you know T8Ter, that sounds like common sense! Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
        Do you know T8Ter, that sounds like common sense! Thank you.
        But doesn't work for shallots where big means small and small means big the following year!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Now that's interesting.

Comment

we just use all the garlic and when it's really small I just cut the 2 end bits off and just chopped the whole thing up.

Comment

i have just pulled my garlic, the soft neck has nice big bulbs and somr more cloves just above the neck, which i assume can be used,But the hardneck garlic planted the same time has barley split yet,so i will use it first. also i noticed they had rust which was not there last time i had looked. i asume thi s is just cosmetic and wont affect it being stored.
              a good put down line to use !

If having brains was a fatal disease, you would be the only survivor.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X