New potatoes for Christmas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New potatoes for Christmas

Apologies for the 'C' word in the middle of July but I have aquestion (don't I always ).

I know I read somewhere, in the last couple of weeks but where exactly I can't find or remember , that it is possible to keep a couple of my harvested new potatoes back for replanting to produce a crop for Christmas.

So my questions are:

Do they need to be chitted in the same way as I did the originals?
    I'm planning on putting them in the spot which my first 2 mangetout wigwams are currently situated but which will be removed in the next week or so, can I use fertiliser before planting?
    I guess fleecing will be required from mid September but, having never used flees before, do I cover the whole plant and if yes, is it all day and night or just cover them on a night unless the weather is particularly cold? and
    Will I really be able to get another crop from the smallest of the potatoes I harvested today?

The variety is Vales Emeralds.
    Many thanks
    Reet
    x

Do they need to be chitted in the same way as I did the originals?
    no
    I'm planning on putting them in the spot which my first 2 mangetout wigwams are currently situated but which will be removed in the next week or so, can I use fertilizer before planting?
    yes
    I guess fleecing will be required from mid September but, having never used flees before, do I cover the whole plant and if yes, is it all day and night or just cover them on a night unless the weather is particularly cold?
    all day and night and more protection may be required.

Will I really be able to get another crop from the smallest of the potatoes I harvested today?
    yes with a whole lot of luck and a lot planning

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X