flowering garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flowering garlic

My first time growing garlic, My garlic is nearly ready to flower . The leaves are still healthy and green. Do i nip the flowers off, then wait for the leaves to die off? Any info would be useful
    thanks

What sort of garlic do you have? If it's soft necked then you can cut off the flower head (scape) and use it in a stir fry. Truely lovely. Note that the garlic bulb of this type won't store so well but will still be OK for a few months.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

i kept the scape and planted them up,have been doing this for 6/7 years as its great garlic (dont know which one,i was given it by a neighbour),takes longer but keeps me pottering about, i now wonder how we ever did without it..,to start scapes off, just lay them on a tray of moist compost and leave them to it
      Last edited by BUFFS; 12-07-2010, 08:01 PM.

Comment

I didn't know you could plant scapes up, I always eat mine

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

The scrape is the flowering stalk?
          Do I cut them off and dig bulb up at the same time?
          How do you know when the bulb is ready
          Thanks for any info.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X